Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot mgr missing/alt cntrl del

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BeeperJeep

BeeperJeep

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

I'll keep this brief. After getting the KSOD, I was able to (finally) get to HP (I run a G60 laptop with Vista OS) Recovery Manager, did a full backup/recovery onto my external. After that finished (7 hours later!), I clicked on finish, the screen with the backup box flashed, disappeared and the computer rebooted. I thought this was part of the process so I waited. It then took me back to the Recovery Manager but my only options were system recovery or repair computer. Tried to repair, no dice. Tried everything. System restore (no known restore points found), ran memory test (it's fine), ran hard disk scan (fine), etc etc ad nauseum. Finally said I'll just wipe it. I have everything saved on the external so what the heck. Go through the steps, get to are you sure you want to do this (no but I don't have a choice at this point so ok), goes through system recovery process, 2 seconds later (after saying it was reconfiguring), it stopped and Error 1002, contact your manufacturer popped up. Lovely. It restarted and I got the Boot mgr missing, hit alt/ctrl/del message. Did it...endless loop. Installed Ubuntu from a back up disc I happened to have. Here's the kicker: Windows Vista has been found. Do you want to run Ubuntu alongside this partition or replace it? Ran it alongside, just in case. Runs fine. So, after installing, rebooting, I get to a "do you want to run Ubuntu or Windows Vista?" screen. Oh, what the hey, let's try Vista. It starts loading files, get a box that says can't find OS, please reinstall drivers. Plugged in external (where both C and D drive are clearly at) and poked around for drivers. Found some but hell's bells if I know which one to choose. Tried one, didn't work. Tried another, didn't work. HP's resolution: "Just buy the recovery discs". But all of my info is still there. It's on my external. If I can open Ubuntu, plus in the external, I can see EVERYTHING. I'm just not sure what to choose so that I can just burn it onto a CD to use to boot up so that I can get back to Vista. If any of that made sense and you think you can point me to the right file or something, I would be forever grateful. As it is, I'll probably be going to buy a new one today (WON'T be getting another HP!!) but all the same, this has been frustrating and I'd like to see if it's possible to recover from the info on the external. Thanks for any help or input!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hello,

When you boot into Ubuntu are you showing more than one drive? Hp usually puts a recovery partition on the drive, so it will show up as an extra drive in Ubuntu
Some people think technology has the answers - Kevin Mitnick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users