Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My screen is stuck on "I can't find any CD ROM Drives". Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rdj1048

rdj1048

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

I reinstalled Windows XP Professional on a new hard drive. I didn't format the hard drive. I thought they came that way. Everything was fine until I allowed an install of a HP update. It automatically restarted the computer before I could install my drivers. Now I get a message that it can't find a CD ROM Drive. I went into BIOS to make sure it's booting from the hard drive & it is. I press F12 & then F8 but not one of the options work...not Recovery, debugging, safe mode, etc. I have no idea what else to do. It's a perpetual message then restart, message, pressF3, restart, over & over. Can anyone help?

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2012 - 01:36 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Hello and Welcome to the forums,

Well your quickest and easiest option is to reinstall Windows, if you haven't already. Make sure you format your drive this time
Some people think technology has the answers - Kevin Mitnick

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

here.

Everything was fine until I allowed an install of a HP update.

By this, do you mean that you were able to boot into Windows?

There are a couple of steps in the process of installing XP, one is the partition. You have the choice of the number of partitions and their size. You will have to choose the file type you wish to install, FAT or NTFS. Without doing these I don't see how you could have made the installation of XP.

There is a good step by step tutorial for installing Windows XP, you can read it here.

Edited by dc3, 22 November 2012 - 12:26 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 rdj1048

rdj1048
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

It just went straight into the installation of Windows without doing anything to the hard drive. I know someone else was trying to tell me the steps to format the hard drive before this happened to me but it never went through the proper steps like it should have. Do you think the hard drive is defective?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

There's always the possibility that the hdd could have been bad from the factory, failures of this type are known as "infant mortalities", but it's very rare.

You didn't answer my question about it booting into Windows, did it?

If it did, what is happening now?

If you do decide to do another install I would suggest that you use a program like Darik's Boot and Nook. This will completely overwrite the entire hdd basically providing you with a fresh hdd to start with.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 rdj1048

rdj1048
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Yes, it booted straight into Windows. No partitioning no formatting, nothing like that. It was fine at first & then I did an update that automatically restarted the computer before I could install my drivers. That's when the screen came up saying it couldn't find any CD ROM Drives, press F3 & restart. It goes on & on over & over. When I press the F8 options none of them work. I can't go into safe mode, can't get to the C: drive, Recovery doesn't work, debugging doesn't work, etc. that's all that's still happening now. I'm going to check out Darik's Boot & Nook now. Thanks.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

Well...what is the method by which you installed Windows?

If a recovery disk was used that relies on a hidden partition...that probably should not have worked, since it's an HP system. The new hard drive would not have the stored files that may be on a hidden partition on the original hard drive.

If you used a valid copy of XP...I've never known one to skip the basic steps.

If you downloaded a copy of Windows...I suppose anything could have occurred.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users