Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

fresh install help to make it as painless as possible

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bellheader

bellheader

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Hey everyone after doing a little moching around I decided to sign up and see if you guys can help me out.

The title makes little sense so I will try to explain what I'm doing, my PC at the moment is running music software,games and all sorts of other stuff, what I will be doing is using another PC for internet and general stuff and using my better PC for just my music production, so here's my question.

At the moment I have 2 hard drives one with XP OS (c:)on it and a second with all my music app's (d:), this is the thing I'm wondering about, all my music app's are on my second hard drive will these have any files connected to the C: drive in other words is it possible to to a fresh install of XP on C: and not have re-install every thing that's on my d: drive.

Hope that made sense, at the moment my PC has so much crap on it I don't know where every thing is installed I'm sure there will be some programs that need re-installing (plug-ins) that's fine and maybe the the main DAW (ableton) I understand this is not a music forum but I guess the same rules apply regarding software applications or major software app's.

I know I'm asking a lot for my first post so I hope this is ok, any help is greatly appreciated....and I hope you get what I'm trying to ask here.

cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

Hi,

In general 99.9% of windows programs are not portable. There are exceptions of course.

However most programs must be installed into the windows they run from. Thus it is highly unlikely that the music programs on your D: will run in a new windows on C: This is by design for several reasons.

When they install they create registry entries, may install files into the window directory and so on.

I wish I could give you better news.
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 bellheader

bellheader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Many thanks for the answer, yer I had a feeling it worked that way have to decide now if I can go through the pain of installing every thing, I want a nice clean system but at the same time I don't want to rock the boat as it is working ok.

Thanks for the bad news.

One of the reasons I wanted to do is due to my C: drive being old and about to die I think I will replace it and try and clean up the pc best I can or maybe do a dual boot.

Thanks again.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

You could always clone the drive and then uninstall the junk since you say it is working OK.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 bellheader

bellheader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

Yes I think I will do just that.

Thanks for the input.