Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
That is a relatively common problem caused by corruption of the SYSTEM registry hive. It can usually be repaired quite easily but first we should ensure you have backed up your personal files that you wish to save and then check the condition of the hard drive which if failing, could be the cause of the file corruption.On a working computer
, please download the latest version of PartedMagic
Write (in the appropriate manner)
the downloaded .iso file to either CD or USB/flashdrive:Connect the problematic hard drive and boot the computer
from the PartedMagic CD or flashdrive:
- At the first menu with Default settings (Runs from RAM) selected, press <ENTER>.
Be patient while PartedMagic loads into memory, and then displays its Desktop.
Success? Let me know if you can successfully boot to the Desktop of PartedMagic.
The Desktop of PartedMagic (version 2012-08-09)At the PartedMagic Desktop:
- Double-click the File Manager icon on the Desktop.
- In the window that opens, navigate to the hard drive and open it to view the contents.
- Can you access the hard drive and view the files on it?
- If so, copy your important personal files to another device (external hard drive/flashdrive).
[/list]At the PartedMagic Desktop:
In the next step you will paste this text into your topic reply.At the PartedMagic Desktop:
- Double-click the Disk Health icon on the Desktop.
- In the GSmartControl window that opens, double-click on the device that represents the hard drive.
- In the Device Information window that opens, click View Output.
A Smartctl Output window will open.
- Right-click in the text output > Select All.
- Right-click in the selected area > Copy.
- Double-click on the Firefox icon to open the Firefox browser window.
- Enter the BC forums address www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums in the address box and press <ENTER>.
- Sign in to the forums and locate your topic.
- Paste the text from the Smartctl Output window in a reply to your topic.
Note: Please enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved.
- Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button
- You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
- Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.