Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

❢❢ Please Help: Windows XP ERROR: Windows could not start because the following ...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PleaseHelpThanksYou

PleaseHelpThanksYou

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

Computer: Latitude D410 (Windows XP)
More Information: http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/latit/topics/en/latit_d410_sp_spec?c=us&l=en&cs=rc956904

It's now displaying a ERROR:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup
using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'R' at the first screen to start repair

Picture Below:

Posted Image

When I to repair it goes back to the same screen 20 seconds later.. :(
I can't get into Safe Mode or anything...
Please also note this computer has NO CD Drive so I can't put in CD's however I have a usb stick and it has a usb slot :) Is there anything I can do? Please...

Picture below:

Posted Image

I have some personal files, I wish to keep if that's possible :)

Please help and give me your advice!
I would be so thankful!!

Kind Regards,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

That model should have a recovery partition which will return the operating system to the condition in was in when it came out of the box. Any data, pictures, etc. added after first starting will be lost.

Remove any unnecessary external devices.

Start the computer and press F8 continuously until Advanced Boot Options appears

Step 1: Press 'F8' key continue until 'Advanced Boot Options' wouldn't be appear.

Step 2: Use your keyboard arrow key to select 'Repair Your Computer' from the list and hit 'Enter.

Step 3: Now click 'Next' and login as the administrator account.

Step 4: Click 'Dell Factory Image Recovery and Data Safe options', select your language option and click 'Next'.

Step 5: Click the check box 'Yes, Reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition, then click 'Next' to start Dell Latitude reset process.

Edited by dc3, 18 November 2012 - 11:19 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 for MS reference.

Louis

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

That is a relatively common problem caused by corruption of the SYSTEM registry hive. It can usually be repaired quite easily but first we should ensure you have backed up your personal files that you wish to save and then check the condition of the hard drive which if failing, could be the cause of the file corruption.

On a working computer, please download the latest version of PartedMagic:
Write (in the appropriate manner) the downloaded .iso file to either CD or USB/flashdrive:
Connect the problematic hard drive and boot the computer from the PartedMagic CD or flashdrive:
  • At the first menu with Default settings (Runs from RAM) selected, press <ENTER>.
    Be patient while PartedMagic loads into memory, and then displays its Desktop.
Success? Let me know if you can successfully boot to the Desktop of PartedMagic.

Posted Image
The Desktop of PartedMagic (version 2012-08-09)

At the PartedMagic Desktop:
  • Double-click the File Manager icon on the Desktop.
  • In the window that opens, navigate to the hard drive and open it to view the contents.
  • Can you access the hard drive and view the files on it?
  • If so, copy your important personal files to another device (external hard drive/flashdrive).
[/list]At the PartedMagic Desktop:
  • Double-click the Disk Health icon on the Desktop.
  • In the GSmartControl window that opens, double-click on the device that represents the hard drive.
  • In the Device Information window that opens, click View Output.
    A Smartctl Output window will open.
  • Right-click in the text output > Select All.
  • Right-click in the selected area > Copy.
In the next step you will paste this text into your topic reply.
At the PartedMagic Desktop:
  • Double-click on the Firefox icon to open the Firefox browser window.
  • Enter the BC forums address www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums in the address box and press <ENTER>.
  • Sign in to the forums and locate your topic.
  • Paste the text from the Smartctl Output window in a reply to your topic.

Note: Please enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved.
  • Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button Posted Image
  • You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
  • Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users