Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No white icons on Metro screen task bar

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 balmoral01

balmoral01

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

I have installed windows 8 and it worked fine, but now I seem to have lost the white icon display on the Metro Page task bar. when right clicking on a tile the task bar would popup with a selection of white icons and text. I now get the text but in place of the icons I get small white boxes, they still function so the link is active. Also when right clicking on the tiles a whit tick would appear, now it is a white box. How can I get the icons to re-appear? where are they stored? is there a regedit code I can change? I attach an image to show the problem. Attached File  metroscreen.png   40.91KB   12 downloadsIf anyone can help I would be eternally grateful.

Deleted duplicate topic which didn't show image - Platypus

Edited by Platypus, 18 November 2012 - 06:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

For your info: Here . Hope that helps.

#3 balmoral01

balmoral01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for the link, unfortunately it does not address the problem!

If anyone else can offer any advice I would be grateful, Microsoft technical have not responded -- That speaks volumes to me.

Has Microsoft released yet more unstable software?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Did you use any 3rd party tools to make modifications to Windows 8 or the start screen?

#5 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

If I'm not mistaken, do you mean pin Apps to the Taskbar as the following picture?

Posted Image

If that's the case, all you need to do is simply right click on the application and then choose the option Pin to taskbar option.

#6 balmoral01

balmoral01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for your response

I have not used a 3rd party tool or software, other than intel chipset windows 8 upgrade. The system uses mobile intel 295 express chipset family and windows 8 does an automatic upgrade, although Microsoft won't admit it I think this could be part of the problem!

#7 balmoral01

balmoral01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for your response Sundavis, but you are mistaken!

The white icons at the base of your image are exactly that which are missing on my screen! Right clicking only displays white line boxes where the icons should be. Also, where there is a white tick on the tile in your image, I only get a small white box displayed at this point.

The error is that the system does not read the icon file (it may be missing or corrupted), or reads it and ignores the command to display.

Finding the icon file would help me, if you know where it is located please share the information, I would be grateful!

Attached Files

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

This is definitely a strange one. You may want to refresh your PC to see if that fixes the issue.

#9 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

Ok. It seemed that your Windows Metro UI was corrupted. You may disable and re-enable it afterwards as instructed in this thread .

If still no joy, please do as Grinler said. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users