Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer stuck at black screen when turning on. no beep.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 slow235comp

slow235comp

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

Gateway GT4022 tower
2.4 ghz AMD Anthion 64 processor 4000+
Stickers indicate Windows XP
nVIDIA Geforce 6100 intergrated into motherboard
200 GB HD
1 Gig RAM (512mb from 2 sticks) expandable to 4 Gig
2007ish machine

I don't know the story behind it except that someone's neighbor was throwing it out and they said they could have it and then I ended up with it.

I turn it on, the fan and HD stay running, noting at all on the monitor, no cursor.
Everythign inside fine, no bad capacitors/wires.

I did this, but nothing helped:

At first, it made one short beep when turing on, now it doesn't beep.
Changed power supply.
Disconnected everything possible inside and outside then pressed the 'on' button 3 times after reconnecting everything correctly.
CPU was physically set correct. I took it out and re-installed it. Thermal paste looks good.
Tried known working RAM and tried different slots. Tried with no RAM.
Tried a known working HD.
Held down all 'f' keys while starting with a known working keyboard. A new start up for each key.
The CD drive works. It won't boot from an XP .iso CD or DBAN .iso CD.
Tried a known working pci GFX card (with a built-in fan that works on the broken machine). The monitor normally plugs into the motherboard's built-in GFX card.
Tried two known working monitors.
The light indicating that the power is on on the front of tower doesn't light up. the keyboard and mouse lights blink only right after they're plugged in.
I let it run for 15 minutes.
Removed RTC battery from motherboard for 15 mins to reset BIOS to default.
Tried with a mouse connected.
I took the motherboard out of the case and put it on cardboard and connected just the PSU and heatsink fan. There's no heatsink fan, just a fan that faces the heatsink. I tried with and without the fan. I tried with a monitor, and I tried with the HD and monitor. Nothing beeped.
Motherboard screws are not over-tighe. It was manufactured to touch the case on the underside, but there are like anti-conducting materials in those places.

How about Ultimate Boot CD?
How important is it to test the coin-sized/CMOS/motherboard battery?
FWIW, I didn't use an anti-static wristband for any of this. I was in rubber sandels on carpet.

Thank you for any information

Edited by slow235comp, 18 November 2012 - 02:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:41 AM

You seem to have done everything at this point... even with using a video card another power supply, monitor. You can try a Live CD disc however, it doesn't look promising on this case based on your what you've posted with the blackscreen problem.

Tekken

#3 slow235comp

slow235comp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

It's prolly the motherboard's broke. I'm not gonna spend on that.

Assuming the HD from this machine has viruses, if I connect to a non-infected machine and DBAN wipe it to keep it, could the virus spread to other components of the computer before it's DBAN'd? Should I disconnect the internet cable before installing the mystery HD?
thanks

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

Dban would be an overkill. :) If you want to just format and reinstall Windows, just boot the discs or change boot order and fire away. This is only possible if you have resolved the blackscreen problem.

Tekken

#5 slow235comp

slow235comp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

I can't get the story behind why it was thrown out. Another forum said with an exception of CHERNOBYL virus, such things do not spread to hardware. I read a boot sector virus, if present, would stay even after just reformatting, and that DBAN overwrites it.
thanks for the help

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

<<There's no heatsink fan, just a fan that faces the heatsink>>

I'd consider that the omission of a critical element, for whatever reason. In the light of such, why develop more complex theories of what may be wrong with system?

Louis

#7 slow235comp

slow235comp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

I mean I'm 99% sure there never was a fan if you're suggesting one's missing. The heatsink doesn't have one, just a big metal type grill to catch the close by fan.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

My apologies, you are quite right...the system was sold with a passive heatsink.

Another day to learn for me :).

Louis

#9 slow235comp

slow235comp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

Well, I could have worded it better to not cause confusion. thanks for helping

0 user(s) are reading this topic