Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Hubs and disk performance

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

Does a USB hub with a power adapter provide equivalent performance for a disk drive as if it were plugged directly into a unique USB port? I have four external disk drives and not enough USB ports to go around for all of them on my laptop. As it is, my laptop runs hot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:37 AM

USB hub powered devices have more advantages than a non powered one. http://www.doityourself.com/stry/5-advantages-of-using-a-powered-usb-hub#.UKiA_IZFbT8

Tekken

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Based on my experience it seems to depend on the powered hub. Some have minimal effect and others slow things down significantly.
If you use more than one drive on the same hub at the same time that will also have a effect on throughput.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

A powered hub only increases the max current draw, which is essential if power is an issue. The 5 items in the linked article boil down to that single fact. As far as I am aware it makes no difference to data rates because all the end user's data still go down the single cable back to the PC, powered or not. The data rates probably depend more on what types of devices you connect to a hub. A mouse and keyboard for example are interrupt devices that are not usually used at the same time so would not interfere at all. If you were streaming video and sending data to a printer, they could potentially interfere. The maximum data rate is not really affected, just the ability of devices to get their business done. If you are continually using your graphics tablet while trying to watch a video streaming via the same hub, that may not work too well either.

As data rates go up, conflicts should decrease. That is, until developers realize they can stuff even more data down the wire to their devices and back to square one. Ditto for making USB power available. USB 3 power is much greater than USB 2 so manufacturers now try to have "self-powered" devices.

As I commented on another thread, one often forgotten aspect is that a powered hub needs yet another DC converter to go along with the one for your printer, modem, USB HDD, kitchen sink. Also another wire to join the rat's nest.

Edit: Forgot to read the first post! If those are USB-powered HDDs, then you would certainly need extra power if all are running simultaneously. Powered from 120V/DC converters, not. If all drives are trying to communicate at the same time, there will be a data bottleneck at the hub-to-PC connection whatever configuration. The laptop temperature may not have anything to do with the USB. Easy to measure, check MB temp with and without USB HDDs connected.

Edited by Nanobyte, 18 November 2012 - 11:48 PM.

#5 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

Thanks all for your advice.

Richie Rein

Mod edit: removed your email address to stop you getting spammed

Edited by Platypus, 19 November 2012 - 03:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users