Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiboot Win 8 & XP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jnewell

jnewell

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

Hi there,
Because of compatibility issues with hardware and software with Windows 8, I want to install XP as a second operating system. I've shrunk the existing C: drive on my machine and created a new partition X: (30 GB). However my laptop won't boot from the XP installation CD although I have set Optical drive as first look and switched off unsigned boot ignore. If I run setup.exe then the install XP option is greyed out, presumably because a newer OS is detected. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get XP installed please.
Best wishes ... John N

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

You have to install XP first, then Windows 8.
See here: http://www.7tutorials.com/how-dual-boot-windows-8-windows-7-windows-vista-or-windows-xp

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 shreya arya

shreya arya

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

If your system is capable, then you are good to go. Before we do that though, we need to set aside some disk space for Windows 8, because the partitioning tools in Windows XP are quite primitive, I personally use Easeus Partition Manager to setup the partition. It’s a free download and is very easy to use, in addition to being non-destructive.

#4 jnewell

jnewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

Hi Shreya,Thanks for your reply, I am grateful for all and any assistance. Currently I have a new partition made which I have called X: . It is 30 GB so well large enough to take XP. As the partition already exists, is there a need to use a different partitioning tool to make a new one? Win 8 already exists on my m/c and the PC won't boot from the XP CD. (I have made the optical drive the first in the boot list choice). If I run setup.exe from the disk the install XP option is greyed out. Please note that what I want to do here is to add XP as a second operating system on a m/c that is already running Windows 8.
Best wishes ... John N

#5 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

Maybe your XP install CD is not compatible to the new HD controller, usually an SATA controller. That means you should find and slipstream the necessary drivers creating a custom Install CD for your hardware at the manufacturer’s support website.

For more info: Here . :thumbup2:

#6 jnewell

jnewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for your inputs. I've been thinking about this for a while and had suggestions on this and other forums. 

The route I have decided to go is to use a Virtual Machine, and to this end I have installed VMWare and successfully installed Win XP within that. It seems to work well and I think I would recommend anyone to use a Virtual Machine.

I tried various other suggestions which were quite well documented, but for me, were not successful. BSOD etc

Thanks to all for their help.

As a PS the use of VMWare was suggested to me by a Microsoft support technician who uses it himself to host Win XP within Win 8.

Best wishes ... John Newell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users