Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual boot with two Win 7 drives question..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 teratosis

teratosis

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Greetings!!

I have two Win 7 builds on my system, both 64 Ultimate. Right now when I start the system I have to press f10 for boot options to select the different launch OS. I would like for it to go to the menu that lets me choose the OS. But I noticed in "start up and recovery" that "default operating system" only one of the W7 is in the drop down. I have another system with vista, w7, and w8 that when i boot it does give me the option to select the OS without having to go to the boot menu.

Is there some way I can manually set this on the dual W7 system, or because they are both W7 the system doesnt know how to handle it?

THanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Well...I've had two Win 7 systems reflected as bootable, as well as 2 XP systems...so it should not be a problem.

<<Right now when I start the system I have to press f10 for boot options to select the different launch OS>>

That would indicate to me...that you have each Win 7 install on a different hard drive...and that each drive was installed without the other being present. If you had installed Win 7 with another install capable of being detected...you would be presented with a multi-boot screen.

I think the easy fix for what you want is EasyBCD, please read directions before using.

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ , register and download the FREE version at the left.

Louis

#3 teratosis

teratosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Well...I've had two Win 7 systems reflected as bootable, as well as 2 XP systems...so it should not be a problem.

<<Right now when I start the system I have to press f10 for boot options to select the different launch OS>>

That would indicate to me...that you have each Win 7 install on a different hard drive...and that each drive was installed without the other being present. If you had installed Win 7 with another install capable of being detected...you would be presented with a multi-boot screen.

I think the easy fix for what you want is EasyBCD, please read directions before using.

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ , register and download the FREE version at the left.

Louis

Very perceptive :). I did install it witout the other drive present. And on my system that has vista I did have all the drives connected on install so that totally makes sense. Thanks, I will check it out.

#4 teratosis

teratosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Wow that was really simple!! Thanks so much. This can be marked as solved.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

:thumbup2: , nice work by you, glad it's resolved :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users