Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot. Error message image attached...please help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RoscoP

RoscoP

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help.

My brother's Inspiron 14R with Win 7 wont boot. He hooked it up to an external HDD to transfer about 30GB of data and went to bed. This morning it was frozen and now it will not boot.

It either gets stuck on F12 for boot option F2 to enter set up or goes to an error screen.

He has inserted the Win 7 disk and nothing happens as well. F12 and F2 also do nothing.

The image is one of the error screens he got. Also, somewhere along the lines it said that he had recently hooked up a device (camera, etc...) and he needed to unhook it. My guess is that it is thinking that the external HDD is still hooked up, which it is not.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Side note: He doesn't care if his HDD gets wiped out. We have tried to reformat, but inserting the disk does nothing and we can't get into the BIOS.

Thanks again.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 griff210

griff210

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

Looks like the hard drive is either toast or not being recognized, have you tried to unplug cables on hard drive and on system board? If so then hard drive is bad.

#3 RoscoP

RoscoP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Looks like the hard drive is either toast or not being recognized, have you tried to unplug cables on hard drive and on system board? If so then hard drive is bad.

No, haven't tried that. He doesn't currently have a spare HDD. Are you saying to unplug and replug them back in to make sure that they are making a connection?

I was thinking HDD as well, but find it odd that this happened after he tried to transfer 30G worth of files to external HDD. Would any of that process trash the HDD?

Thanks griff210

#4 griff210

griff210

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

Well sure i mean any hdd can go bad i support a group of over 800 in my job and yea i know if hdd is going bad and i want to ghost it and i pull it, well sometimes just the action of pulling it out of the case, then it wont ghost so sure it could of been the data copying over just toasted it, i have sure seen many im my time do stranger things.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

That PXE error normally occurs when the BIOS settings have reset to network boot...happens on some systems when the CMOS battery is weakening. Any number of false hardware errors may be reflected as the result of a failing CMOS, IME.

I'd try a replacement CMOS battery...then reset the CMOS settings to "best boot option" and try booting...before I write the hard drive off.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users