Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt wireless camera password.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 defragking

defragking

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

I set up the wireless camera and all was fine,it worked as it was designed. I am useing Windows 7

Ready to permanently screw the camera to the wall, I went through and changed the default "user name" and "pass word".

The program IPCamera.exe seemed to corupt both "user name" and "pass word", as the program wouldn't accept the new password or the old, or a combination of both.I even tried keys nearby on the keyboard to no availe.

Now the camera it wouldn't allow me to get into the program or into "setup" mode" so I can reset it to "factory setup".

I "uninstalled the program" useing Ccleaner and ran registry fix.

I reinstalled IPCamera(clean copy),

It seems WINDOWS Security or the camera "firmware" stores the "corupt mixed up" passwords somewhere and now my camera won't work.

Can anybody help get this camera working again???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Hi

I work with some of these.
What manufacturer/model is it? Maybe I have an idea or a trick for it.

James

#3 defragking

defragking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

Hi James,
thanks for your intrest.

The camera is a Kogan it looks a bit like a robot that can be panned and tilted.

My problem is the "Username and password" stored in my modem, the camera firmware or the computer? I tried my wife's computer with similar results.

Thanking you in anticipation, Don.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

Not sure which model you have but I think Kogan's are rebranded Foscams so you can look at the underside of the base and see if there is a reset hole that you can use to reset the cam by poking a paperclip in there. It should clearly be labeled RESET.

James

#5 defragking

defragking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Hi James,
thank you for the information...yes there is a hole in the bottom (with reset written next to the hole) of the camera as you described.
I did push a paper clip to reset ... but "Windows Security" would not accept the "Username" admin and "Password" none .as typed on the label on the bottom of the camera.

I hope you have some more clues up your sleave??

Kind regards, Don.

#6 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

Hi Don

I'm afraid I don't know what 'Windows Security' is in this case. The Foscam that those are a copy of (still don't know what model you have, just your brand name so I'm assuming it is the Foscam knockoff) does not use 'Windows Security' or a program named that. You simply access the camera's IP address in your browser. First you plug the camera into the network with lan cable, then you navigate to its IP from any computer on the network using any web browser, then you configure login/password and wireless settings.

I guess yours works differently :(

James

#7 defragking

defragking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

Hi James,
thank you for your help so far. I just noticed you are based in New Jersey and I live in Australia, good for trans Pacific relations.
You asked about the camera model. (I scanned the bottom of the camera)There are 2 paper stickers on the camera

KOGAN
model No KIPCO1BLKA
KIPCO1BLKAB2857
Made in China

IP CAMERA
User: admin Password: none
Power adapter DC5V/2000nA
Factory IP://192.XXX.XXX.X:99
Remote Address: XXXXXX.com
DDNS Password: 123456

The camera is a bottom of the range that I bought to keep an eye on our young dogs and to learn more about security cameras.
I don't understand why the camera is giving me grief as it used to work like a dream, until I changed the password? It worked via my wireless modem.

Is there an adjustment on my firewall? I am wondering why WINDOWS Security gets involved, and where it stores the password.( modem, camera (plugs via Ethernet cable to modem while set up),modem, computer or camera software.)Is there software to find the "username" etc. to see what I can change on my system?
Is there another program I can use to overcome the use of the Kogan camera software. I have tried "IP Camera Viewer" but it doesn't load.(it says)

Connection failed
Camera connection may have failed due to the following reasons
1. Internet/network connection is not available.
2. Application is blocked from accessing internet.
(Please check your firewall)

I checked to see if the internet connection was working, yes it was.
but regarding the modem firewall or computer firewall I am as green as a man from mars. How do I give the camera access through the firewall?

I did think, what would the result be if I bought another camera? Would the software, firewall Windows Security play the same game with me?
Kind regards,
Don.

#8 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

Hi Don

I thought you just needed to figure out how to get it reset to 'factory setup'. I didn't realize that it was a deeper problem than that.

Anything beyond that requires a much higher level of situational awareness on my part before I could make any statements about whether it goes through firewalls or what IP it uses.

Knowing things like do you only view it internally in your home network or do you broadcast it to the internet through the manufacturers site in China and that's why you need the software? What IP address did your home network assign the camera internally? etc... Then I would probably need to see the manual that comes with it.

Since you did the factory reset, it needs to be setup again the way you did when you first bought it. It has no way of knowing how to connect to your wireless network anymore and must be reconfigured.

I wish I had an easier answer for you.

James

#9 defragking

defragking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hi James,
Thanks so much for your assistance. You have been prompt with your replies, and without my gear in front of you is such a big ask by me.
I did the reset and when I try to do the setup, Windows Security asks for Username and password and so won’t let me change or add entries. I only want to set the camera so I can use it through my own WiFi network. I don’t travel much so having the signal through the China IP is not necessary.
I will try and find somebody locally so they can have my laptop, modem and camera in the same room and change what needs to be changed.
When I do get this camera going I will let you know somehow. I notice you have helped lots of folk. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
Kind regards,
Don.

#10 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

I went to a client today with a Foscam model that I think is the same camera as yours but the firmware on it might be different. They were kind enough to let me take it with me. Here are some steps to try and see if you can use it directly on your home network.

You'll need a LAN cable and a computer with a browser other than Internet Explorer on it like Firefox or Chrome. Internet Explorer will require you to load an ActiveX control that is unsigned and I can't ask you to do that. I would not do it myself.

Plug the LAN cable into the camera and then plug the other end into your home network's router.
Plug the camera in so it has power.
Now you need to find out what the IP address of the camera is. Your home network should assign it one when the camera is powered on.
Go to the management screen of the home network router.
I don't know how you guys set that sort of thing up down under but here we just go to the .1 address. If your devices are all getting IPs like 192.168.1.5 then point your browser at 192.168.1.1 and it should ask you for the login and password that your router has setup (your service provider should be able to tell you about that).
Now in that system which comes up for that address in your browser, there should be a list of connected devices. One of them is the camera.
Note the IP address for the camera. Let's say it is 192.168.1.10
In your browser try one of these two addresses then (replace with the IP address that you found in the list)
http://192.168.1.10
or
http://192.168.1.10:99
(since your label indicates that it may use port 99 you might need to add :99 to the address)

Let me know if you see the login for your camera there.

James

#11 defragking

defragking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:28 AM

Hi James,
Thank you for your detailed directions. It was good of the gentleman to loan you the camera.

I was able to get the IP address allocated to my camera.

I then again reset the camera with a “glider-clip”.

But again it required authentication:-

AUTHENICATION IS REQUIRED
A username and password are being requested by http://10.1.1.4:99. The site says: "ipcamera_00D6FB010BD3"
Username ............... Password ...............

So again I am back to where is the information stored, software in the computer or firmware in the modem or camera? Then how to rest or change it.

I tried both Firefox and Chrome with the same result. I reset the computer in between.

Thanks again James, Don.

#12 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

IP CAMERA
User: admin Password: none
Power adapter DC5V/2000nA
Remote Address: XXXXXX.com
DDNS Password: 123456

What's odd is that at that point when typing in the default factory user/password at that point, you should get access after a hard reset.
Login: admin
with no password.

I'll dig around a bit more later.

James

#13 defragking

defragking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

Hi James,
thanks for the digging you have done.

I am going to set up another madem (if I can) and then use another computer that then should rule out modem and computer hidden passwords.

That would leave only the camera .. or is there a fault in my thinking.

Thanks again James, Don

#14 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

It really looks like you are directly accessing the camera now.
Does the screen that it takes you to have two LOGIN buttons? If so, make sure that you are clicking the second one for browsers other than IE.

The only other thing I can think of is that you are typing admin with a capital 'A' like Admin or maybe not leaving the password blank and literally typing the word 'none' in it.

Just tried the camera that I have here and it asks for login and password so I type admin, leave the password empty and click login.

James

#15 defragking

defragking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hi James,
I have tried the spelling in every which way capital A in Admin , a in admin I have even tried to guess what the password scramble in all the simple passwords I was likely to use but still no luck. I have tried the reset button again and listened and it seems right in the click sound.(I am nearly at the screwdriver stage) but I will keep trying and keep looking incase you get an idear.

If the reset is not working, I may have to send it back to Kogan, but I would rather not.

I have cut and pasted what came up and I did use for Firefox, Google browser.

Thanks again James, Don.

KOGAN

English | Spanish | Deutsch | French | 简体中文

IP Camera will keep looking incase

ActiveX Mode (For IE Browser)
Sign in
Server Push Mode (For FireFox, Google Browser) I USED THIS ONE
Sign in

Mobile Mode
Sign in

attention:
propose using 1024 * 768 screen resolution