Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supplies

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TJ Russell

TJ Russell

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:09 PM

hi,

i was wondering about my power supply problem and i figured i would ask someone that know what they are doing before i went out and got a new one. i have a compaq presario 5004US and i had recently bought a dvd drive and a dvd burner (both internal) and i can only plug one in to get it to work. if i have both plugged into the motherboard and powersupply niether will come up on windows. have winodws XP home edition. the power supply is only 250watts. is the problem the powersupply the problem or is it a master and slave problem. i also have a second hard drive in this computer also. PLEASE HELP!! thank you!!!

TOM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:23 PM

Sounds like the master/slave problem.

You can only have 2 IDE devices on one ribbon/IDE bus - so do you have the HDD on a separate one to the optical drives, or do you have the HDD an 1 optical on one ribbon, and the other optical on another ribbon?
If you have both optical drives on the same ribbon, you will need to change the jumper settings at the back of the drives so that one is 'master' and one is 'slave'. Then attach the furthest end of the ribbon to the master, and closest (from the Motherboard) to the slave.
Also, make sure that the HDD IDE ribbon is still plugged into the first IDE socket on the motherboard, and the ribbon for the optical drives in the second socket...
Someone correct me if I'm wrong....plz
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:44 PM

If I remember correctly, the original drives in the compaq were set to cable select

try setting the new optical drive to the cable select(CS) position

again, I may not remember the settings correctly, as I have not worked on this exact machine.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 TJ Russell

TJ Russell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:21 PM

thanks your replies were a huge help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic