Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up two routers with the same SSID.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

I am interested in setting up two routers in a clients large home and want to know the best way to configure this set up. I have a Airport Express attached to the modem and an Asus Router connected to an ethernet switch in opposite part of the house. Do most people use the same SSID for both routers? If so, what is the advantage to doing this Vs two different SSID's. FRom my reading it says to set up on two different channels. I would set up the AE on DHCP with a 192.168.1.1 IP. What network connection do I set up the second router? Do I set a static IP different than the 1st router. What about a bridge connection? I could set up the 5GHZ network with the same SSID as well. Would really appreciate any tips or suggestions for how to set up this network. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

In the end it really depends on how it will be used. If it will be all the same users for the same purpose then I would leave everything the same. If one will be for business and one personal I would set them up differently.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

This would help you http://www.labnol.org/software/add-router-to-wireless-network/19716/

Tekken

#4 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

What I would do is set up one of the routers as an access point. You do this by disabling DHCP and setting the LAN with a static IP that is within the same range as the other router (for instance if the IP of the main router is 192.168.1.1 make this one 192.168.1.2).Then plug the cable into the LAN side of the router (the one converted into an access point). Also just make sure that the router is broadcasting the same SSID as the other then you won't have to worry about switching the network names depending on where you are in the house. You also one to try and set a different channel then the main one as they have a great deal of interferance with the other (if you are using 1 on the main use 6 on the access point).
Here is an articlefrom How to geek that explains a lot of what I am talking about.

Here is another optionif you just want to extend the network without the use of wires.

uByte

#5 Donald.CNS

Donald.CNS

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

Why do you want to use 2 routers? To increase your wifi range? For additional ssid's? To increase the amount of ports because of additional devices?

If you want better wifi range, use the second router as an access point, as described above. Just make sure the two routers are on different channels, atleast 3 channels apart. Ideally, you would use a wifi-extender, because routers are layer 3 devices and could increase your collision domain and impact your bandwidth (speed).

If you want additional ssid's, or another wifi network, make sure the second router is outside of the IP Range of the first router, but use the same subnet mask. Again, change the wifi channels to decrease interference.

If you are looking to add additional ports to your network, buy a switch. You can find one for $30 or so. Switches are layer 2 devices that will send packets (info) across your network faster than the router will, simply because the router sends packets to the desired device, rather than across the entire network.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Donald.CNS, 23 November 2012 - 02:07 AM.

#6 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

Thanks so much for all the replies. I am having an incredibly hard time setting up the second router and do not know why. I have an Apple Airport Extreme set up in one part of the house attached to the modem and that is working fine with DHCP. I am really not sure how this house is wired, but there is a few ethernet jacks in the wall of the office. The office is not in wireless reach of the basement (where the AE is connected to the modem). Would the ethernet jacks be wired back into the main Modem/AE in some way. Shouldn't I be able to at least directly connect from the wall into the Imac in the office and get internet. It is saying ethernet connected, but that does not let me connect to the internet. If I am setting up a second router which would go in the office on a static IP with a bridge connection, and plugging into the LAN port. The router keeps saying that it needs to be plugged into WAN port. Do I just plug into WAN port for set up and switch over to LAN once the set up is done. Why would I be having so much trouble getting the office connection to work. I am ultimately trying to set up a second AE in the office. Could the wiring be faulty? Appreciate any additional help. Here is some extra information from my post on mac rumors.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1474916

Router # 1 - IP 10.0.1.3, subnet 255.255.248.0, IP of router 10.0.1.1, DNS 167.206.254.1 on DHCP

Router #2 - IP 10.0.1.5, subnet 255.255.255.0, IP of router 10.0.1.2, DNS same as above, on static IP with bridge connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users