Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LizEPB

LizEPB

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic393442.html - Hamluis.

Hi, I'm totally new to this site, having joined it because of this thread...I found it via Google, in attempt to find out how to fix my PC, and was thrilled, because the symptoms described fitted my problems exactly, and the solution seemed so simple! So I got hold of a Puppy Linux CD (what a wonderful program!) and discovered that my files and folders were still there, despite my PC's best attempt to persuade me otherwise, and I even managed to find the two relevant folders (Snapshot and Config). So far so good....but when I tried to copy the five files from the Snapshot folder to the Config one, it wouldn't let me do it :( - "Cannot create regular file...read-only file system". So what do I do now?! This whole thing is beginning to take over my life! Any help would be very much appreciated!

Edited by hamluis, 17 November 2012 - 06:23 AM.
PM sent new OP, moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

Hello LizEPB and :welcome: to the BC forums.

I'm not sure why you may be having that problem, unless Puppy is not able to fully mount the drive because of a file-system corruption issue (Puppy can read but not write to the file system?). Did you happen to come across any messages or problems along that way that might support that? Is the drive fully mounted properly or is there a problem indicated?

Edited by AustrAlien, 01 June 2012 - 05:08 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 LizEPB

LizEPB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

Hi, Thanks for replying; I am so grateful to you for taking the time to help me - this situation is starting to give me insomnia!!!

As soon as I read your post I remembered that there had been an error message, and so I have gone back into Puppy and recorded it:

" The ntfs-3g driver was unable to mount the NTFS partition and returned this error message:
Failed to write lock 'dev/sda2': Resource temporarily unavailable
Error opening '/dev/sda2': Resource temporarily unavailable
Failed to mount 'dev/sda2': Resource temporarily unavailable
So the inbuilt kernal NTFS driver has been used to mount the partition read only"

Obviously this is where the problem lies - especially the last line. I am sorry, but when I first saw the message I didn't take it all in and as the hard-drive was accessed I didn't worry about it. I'm worried about it now! Does this meant that I have a problem with my hard-drive? (All my files and folders etc seem to be there, and OK). Is there anything that I can do now? I have the Windows XP CD that was supplied with the computer; I have tried using the Recovery Console, but it freezes at 59% (!?), but would it work if I re-installed Windows over the top of the current installation? Indeed, is that possible? Any suggestiona at all will be gratefully received!

Please excuse my ignorance - when I went to school the only keyboard in the building was the secretary's typewriter (my 16 year old son tells me that there must have been dinosaurs wondering around!!) and so I struggle a lot with the technology! I think it is wonderful that people with the necessary expertise - like yourself - are willing to help those of us are trying to catch up but getting left further behind! Thank you again.

Edited by LizEPB, 02 June 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

" The ntfs-3g driver was unable to mount the NTFS partition ...
So the inbuilt kernal NTFS driver has been used to mount the partition read only"

Obviously this is where the problem lies - especially the last line.

Yes, that is what I was thinking might have been the situation. The NTFS file system is corrupt.

I have the Windows XP CD ... I have tried using the Recovery Console, but it freezes at 59% ...

What exactly have you tried ... and what freezes? Taking a guess, I would say you have probably tried to run chkdsk from the Recovery Console prompt ... either chkdsk /p or chkdsk /r ???? Would that be a correct guess? And then, when running chkdsk, the process "freezes" part-way through. Is that correct?

How sure are you that chkdsk is frozen solid and not making progress? How long have you waited? Have you observed the hard drive activity light, and seen no activity at all for a period of time? I ask all this because chkdsk can appear to be frozen sometimes when it is not. It can progress forward, then go backward .... and so on. It can take a long time to complete in some cases .... 24 hours or longer. You should not interrupt chkdsk once it has started.

If we are not able to get chkdsk to successfully run to completion and fix the file system corruption, then there are a couple of other ways we can try to do the job. Firstly, I would like to be sure that we have exhausted all opportunity to use chkdsk run from the RC to do the job.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 LizEPB

LizEPB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:43 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I tried chkdsk /r. When it did not progress beyond 59%, I did leave it on all night (probably about 12 hours) before I gave up on it. I have to admit that it did not occur to me to leave it for longer; I hope that I haven't done even more damage :( Should I try again? How long should I leave it for?

I don't know whether a bit more background might help. The system was unstable for a couple of weeks (running chdsk on start-up) before it finally presented me with the wretched Blue Screen (I think the error code was 0x000000ED). I suspect that the problem started when we had a power failure in the house whilst the compute was on. I wasn't here at the time, and the people that were couldn't remember if it re-started OK after that (!); I do have a power-surge protection plug thingie, but I was told once that they do not always work...

Thanks again for your time :)

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:48 AM

Thanks for confirming and for the background. It is all consistent with a corrupt file system. Before proceeding we should test the hard drive in case there is a problem with it that has corrupted the file system.

Test the hard drive.

It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working. The first two steps are done on a working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.)

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

When you can, include the make and model number of the problematic hard drive. If you do choose to use SeaTools, you will see the model number (and maybe the make) when SeaTools first detects the hard drive.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 LizEPB

LizEPB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

Hello again!

I managed to get a copy of the Seagate Tool downloaded and burned - that bit all went very smoothly. Unfortnately, the hard-drive (WDCWD2500JS-75NCB3) failed both the short test and the long test, and 57 faults were found, which sounds horrendous to me :(. Even worse, the Tool was unable to repair the drive :( :( . Is there anything else that I can try, or is it a case of replacing the hard drive?

Once again, thankyou; I very much appreciate your time.

Edited by LizEPB, 03 June 2012 - 05:31 PM.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

At least you have now found the source of your problem! :thumbup2: It seems unlikely that anything can be done with the failing hard drive.
  • Retrieve copies of any important personal files from the failing hard drive to an external USB hard drive using Puppy.
  • Purchase a new hard drive and install a fresh copy of the Windows operating system.

Good luck!
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 LizEPB

LizEPB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:18 AM

I had a horrible feeling that you were going to say that! Still, at least, as you say, I know what the problem is now, and won't have to waste any more time trying to fix it...And with the help of Puppy I have to been able to save my files - I hadn't heard of Puppy until I read your original post on here. So many, many thanks :)

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:09 AM

Not such a bad outcome under the circumstances, after all: It could have taken longer to get there and it could have been worse!
Why, you might not have got to play with Puppy! :thumbsup:

Best of luck with the new hard drive and the fresh Windows installation! :thumbup2:

Edited by AustrAlien, 06 June 2012 - 03:10 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users