Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most Programs Stopped Working, Can't Redownload

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JJBird239

JJBird239

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:34 PM

Hey, this is my first time posting and i really need your expertise... The first time i visited this site it was reguarding surfsidekick 3, i followed the instructions to get rid of it with hijackthis but apparently there were more viruses or i did it wrong. Now my computer is being bombarded with popups and for some reason most of my programs aren't working and i can't reinstall them because it won't let me. I can't download anything off the internet like adaware or spybot... i would concider reformatting but my computer isn't letting me save my important files. I've tried to burn my important files on a cd, save them on a ftp site and tried to save them on a portable drive to no avail, i can't lose these files, any suggestions...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:57 PM

First, the data. You could remove your hard drive, and install it in a second working computer as a slave. Then you can go into the slave hard drive and copy your files.

You may consider either posting a hjt log in the HJT forum here at BC, or wiping out the data on your hard drive and reinstalling Windows. Let us know which way you want to go and we can give you specific instructions on how to proceed.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 JJBird239

JJBird239
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:19 PM

Well, I do have a second hard drive I recently installed, it has all the important files I need on it and I know theres nothing infected on it. Could I remove it and then wipe out the data on my origional hard drive then reinstall the newer hard drive without causing any problems? If so then thats what I'd like to do, start fresh...

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:28 AM

If you have copies of all your important data, then yes, you could remove the second hard drive, and then install Windows again on the first hard drive by following these steps to be sure your new Windows installation is free of infections:

You should run Killdisk to delete everything including any infections. This is a free progam and can be downloaded HERE. Put the program on a floppy disk or a CD.

Then run a DOS disk, such as a Windows 98 start up disk, when the computer boots to DOS, type "C:" (without the quotes), push ENTER. Then type "fdisk" (without the quotes), push ENTER, then just push ENTER at each selection that you are prompted to make (in other words, just accept all defaults). You can download what you need HERE.

Then reboot with your XP CD in the cd drive and reinstall Windows, being sure to choose "Full Format" instead of quick format when prompted.

Be careful about reinstalling your data as it may contain a virus or other malware.

Just make sure you have everything you need before you start. Create the Killdisk disk. Create the DOS disk. Make sure you have the XP Disk and Product Key. Make sure you have the motherboard drivers (if needed). Etc.

If you have any other questions, just ask. We will be happy to guide you through this process.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 JJBird239

JJBird239
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:34 PM

Alright, before I do anything drastic I just want to make sure of one thing... If I remove my second hard drive with all my important files, then reinstall windows on my first hard drive, I could then put the second hard drive back into the computer and all my important files will still be there? Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions but I don't know a lot about computers, Thankyou...

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:45 PM

Try this first:

If you have a Windows System Restore date available from before this problem began, use it to restore your system to its previous condition.

That is the easiest way.

If not, follow Albert's advice.

Yes, all files that are on the second hard drive will remain on it when you physically disconnect it.

#7 JJBird239

JJBird239
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:23 PM

How do I know if I had a Windows Sysem Restore date? Would I have had to create one myself?

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:03 PM

Windows XP creates them automatically.

Click on start/help and support - type in System Restore at the top

Click on "run the system restore wizard"

If the computer won't run it, then click "run the system restore wizard in safe mode"

#9 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:21 PM

To know what are the restore points, when in the System Restore utility it will show a calendar. The days that are shown in bold have retore points. Click on one of them to activate that restore point.

Edited by pascor22234, 23 March 2006 - 07:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users