Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden restart prevents PC from booting to Windows

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 blub

blub

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:38 AM

I recently had to fix a problem on my grandma's computer that I've never had before. I'm hoping someone could explain why the problem occurred and whether I fixed it correctly.

My young cousin was using the computer (Win 7 in limited user mode) when something happened with the speakers. He thought he could fix the problem by restarting the computer using the on/off button. From what he told me, the computer would not restart normally. The black screen came up where you can select Safe Mode. He selected the start normally option. The computer booted to the desktop and then restarted back to the black screen. I ended up having to use the System Restore option from Safe Mode and everything seemed fine after that. I never really got to check things out properly though.

I'm going to assume that either the system settings or the registry was messed up from the sudden restart when my cousin pressed the on/off button. Would that be correct?

Was the proper way to fix this by using the System Restore option? I might have chosen the "last known good configuration" option from the black screen, but it wasn't listed and I don't know if it was listed the first time that screen came up. With all the button pushing that kid did, it's a wonder the computer still works.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

The damage would more likely be the result of the hard shutdown. This can damage file in a application which was running at the time.

Doing a System Restore does seem to have worked, this would have returned the operating system back to the condition it was on the date that you chose.

If there are any further problems I would suggest running sfc /scannow .

Open an elevated command prompt. To do this go to Start> All Programs> Accessories> right click on Command Prompt and then click on Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users