Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New System Won't Post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sentinelomega

sentinelomega

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:28 PM

Hello

I have been trying to build a computer for the first time and have run into problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When I boot up the computer, the MB gives a single beep which I believe means that everything is going correctly. When the monitor powers on it quickly shows the graphics card information and then switches to the "Abit" screen prompting to press Tab or Del. Unfortunately this is the farthest I have gotten. There are no additional beeps from the MB or anything else to indicate a problem. The POST code displayed on the MB when it hangs is 4E.
Sometimes - but not always - the "Abit" screen will have small white lines scattered around it or the bottom 1/3 of the screen will be a big strip of black and white lines. The CDRW and DVD Burner both receive power and can open/close and all the case fans and the Abit Guru seem to work.

Here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon X2 4800+ Processor
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro Cooling Fan with Heatsink
Abit Fatal1ty AN8 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
ABIT Guru Panel (GP-02) Controller Panel
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel TWINX2048-3200
XFX Geforce 7800GTX PVT70FUND7 Video Card
ENERMAX EG465P-VE 24P 460W Power Supply
ThermalTake Armor VA8000BWS Case
ViewSonic G225fb CRT

The following are additional system items that I disconnected and removed after unsuccessfully trying to boot the system a few times. There was no change to the problem after removing them.

Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Pioneer DVR-110DBK / 16x8x16x DVD+RW / 16x6x16x DVD-RW / 8x DVD+R DL / 40x32x40x CD-RW / OEM DVD Burner
Sony CRX320E DVD/CD-RW Writer
Dynatron DH1205SO-C 3.5" Aluminum Multi-Color LED HDD Cooler

When I ran into the problem I checked all hardware power and data connections and when that didnt work I disconnected and then reconnected everything. When that failed to work I removed all but the graphics card, cpu/fan, and RAM. I tried with each stick of ram individually and also tried hooking up an old PCI graphics card and monitor that I know work but the exact same problem continued. I have reset the CMOS using the jumper and also have removed the battery. I also removed the MB from the case and hooked graphics card, cpu/fan and RAM back up on a piece of cardboard and performed all these steps again but the problem continued.
I dont know anyone with a PCI-Express slot or compatable RAM to independently test these items for me.
I should also add that I tried connecting a working 3.5 floppy drive but it never received power before the hang. Also the MB did not seem to come with a jumper on the CMOS so I tried booting with the Guru's connector on it (with the Guru both on and off) and I also used another jumper. I originally used an ASPIRE ATX-AS520W 520W Power Supply but replaced it with the Enermax one listed above when I thought that it was causing the problem.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:38 PM

check jumpers and try reseting ur cmos battery.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#3 sentinelomega

sentinelomega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:27 PM

I have tried both but no change.
I am afraid it may be a motherboard problem but is it possible that I just have a bad BIOS chip?

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:30 PM

This is the POST Code definition, but I ain't that smart, so me not know wo it mean....

4E
1. Program MTRR of M1 CPU
2. Initialize L2 cache for P6 class CPU & program CPU with proper cacheable range
3. Initialize the APIC for P6 class CPU
4. On MP platform, adjust the cacheable range to smaller one in case the cacheable ranges
between each CPU are not identical
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 sentinelomega

sentinelomega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:33 PM

I am not sure what that means either.
#2 and #3 seem to be for a Pentium processor?
I am not sure about #1 but if "MP" means multi-processor then maybe my CPU is bad?

#6 sentinelomega

sentinelomega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:44 PM

I have realized that apparently the current version of my BIOS does not support dual-core processors. I dont know anyone with a socket 939 board but my roomate has a socket 754 with the ASUS nForce3 150 chipset. Would it be possible to pop out my BIOS and place it into his MoBo, flash it with the updated version and replace it back in my machine? My MoBo uses the NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra chipset.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users