Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Unmute Laptop!!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 BlkRev

BlkRev

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

I just got a used laptop from a generous person a couple weeks ago. The audio worked fine for the times I used it before. However, a couple days ago, I turned it on and there was no audio! Every time I start the computer, the audio will work for 2 minutes and then mute itself. The volume hasn't been working since.

I tried unchecking the mute box multiple times, but it won't UNCHECK! Ugh, it's pissing me off!

I've tried restarting the computer, Control Panel, Volume Control, everything. Nothing works! It's a 2005 Windows XP Acer AspireOne laptop (it doesn't have Internet on it yet).

Troubleshooting Pics:
http://adf.ly/Ev3VJ
http://adf.ly/Ev3X3

I don't think it's a virus. My computer isn't hooked up to the Internet (guess it's still possible). Also, I don't have the Installation Disc for the sound card. Therefore, I fear that if I uninstall the Realtek Sound Card, then it will be permanently gone. I need this problem resolved as soon as possible. I'll greatly appreciate anybody that is willing to help. :whistle:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

Thanks for those pics -
The only one missing was Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > and is there any Red or Yellow ( ! ) or ( ? ) beside any items -

Open all of them (click all +'s), and see if there are any other problems showing -

Sounds like hardware or software settings, but not infections involved -

#3 BlkRev

BlkRev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Thanks for those pics -
The only one missing was Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > and is there any Red or Yellow ( ! ) or ( ? ) beside any items -

Open all of them (click all +'s), and see if there are any other problems showing -

Sounds like hardware or software settings, but not infections involved -

Errr... damn I should've taken a photo of that. I do remember going to the "Device Manager" to fix this issue, but it said that everything is working properly (it clearly isn't). I think there's a glitch that is messing with the Master Volume abruptly.

Edited by BlkRev, 16 November 2012 - 11:45 PM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

Drivers for Aspire One 110. Drivers and Utilities. MS Windows XP
Give the Acer site a run and use a USB stick if there ase any drivers listed for you -

Uninstall the required drivers on your computer, and replace them with any from Acer's site -

Why can't you enable internet on this computer ??

#5 BlkRev

BlkRev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

Drivers for Aspire One 110. Drivers and Utilities. MS Windows XP
Give the Acer site a run and use a USB stick if there ase any drivers listed for you -

Uninstall the required drivers on your computer, and replace them with any from Acer's site -

Why can't you enable internet on this computer ??

I don't have the Internet service hooked up on that, but I will soon. Any other advice? I'm trying to play with as many alternative solutions as possible for this problem.

#6 griff210

griff210

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

Have you tried an external device via headphones, speakers? If those work then its not the drivers or sound card probably the internal speaker is bad.

#7 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

Do you have any running programs that could be muting the audio? Some audio players will set the volume when they start up (though the ones I have do not mute it). If it takes minutes before muting occurs, start up Task Manager/Processes tab as soon as possible and see if the muted audio is coincidental with something starting. Systinternals' Process Explorer is better for this job because it's colour coded but Task Manager will work. It cannot be a volume control because they adjust levels and do not affect the mute check box.

#8 BlkRev

BlkRev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

Okay so something very weird has happened lately.
My laptop looked like this when it was handed to me.

My Broken Acer...

The screen is cracked, and it looks like part of the backlight has been damaged.
The battery has no life on it, but still usable.
Thus, I cannot leave the house with the laptop as it will abruptly die if I unplug from the wall.

These were only the few issues that came with the laptop that I received last month.

Then, sooner or later, the audio stopped working. Right away, I followed a fellow's advice on this topic and performed a complete system recovery (restoring everything to "factory settings"). After the process was done, everything seemed to be working smoothly. Although the audio would still mute itself, I was still able to uncheck the "Mute" box. Despite my efforts, it later did a complete relapse and the audio permanently muted itself again 2 days after it was restored. Now, I can't even get the computer to turn on. It's like the hard drive/fan makes this weird noise while trying to start up, but it can't because it's too sickly.

The screen will no longer come up at all. I've repeatedly taken out the battery, played with the screen's bright and contrast buttons, and everything else!! Everything got worse. I doubt there's a virus on my external hard drive.

Edited by BlkRev, 27 November 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#9 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

A quick virus scan, update the drivers and it will be right as rain.

#10 BlkRev

BlkRev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

A quick virus scan, update the drivers and it will be right as rain.

I can't turn it on though. The screen will not have any signal. How can I complete a virus scan or anything in my current position? Did you read my latest post on this thread thoroughly?

Edited by BlkRev, 28 November 2012 - 12:16 AM.

#11 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:48 AM

I was joking. The laptop is a piece of crap, to put it politely.

#12 BlkRev

BlkRev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

I was joking. The laptop is a piece of crap, to put it politely.

It really is. Despite it all, I'm trying to save it from permanent death because I currently do not have any cash to get another one. There has to be a way to revive it.

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

While I hope there is a way for the laptop to be revived it may not be possible.

The screen is broken. How did it get that way? It had to take a big hit to look like what your picture shows.

If it did take a big hit something may be damaged on the inside which prevents it from working the way it should work. Repairs are an option but could cost as much as or more than a new laptop.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 December 2012 - 03:02 PM.

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

I agree with Queen-Evie in the assessment that what ever damage caused the screen to look like it does, more than likely did damage that can't be seen. While the damage may not be seen, the result is that it causes unpredictable and undesired behavior. While you say "There has to be a way to revive it." that may be possible. However the ability to do so may be cost prohibitive for you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#15 BlkRev

BlkRev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

While I hope there is a way for the laptop to be revived it may not be possible.

The screen is broken. How did it get that way? It had to take a big hit to look like what your picture shows.

If it did take a big hit something may be damaged on the inside which prevents it from working the way it should work. Repairs are an option but could cost as much as or more than a new laptop.

I don't know how the screen got broken. Please people, do not forget that this laptop was given to me in this poor condition. I'm pretty sure the the screen and backlight are the main parts that got damaged.

I agree with Queen-Evie in the assessment that what ever damage caused the screen to look like it does, more than likely did damage that can't be seen. While the damage may not be seen, the result is that it causes unpredictable and undesired behavior. While you say "There has to be a way to revive it." that may be possible. However the ability to do so may be cost prohibitive for you.

The previous owner of this computer says that the warranty for is has expired; thus it will be more costly to fix it, especially now that the computer will not turn on. This is the sequence of events that had occurred:

* First the screen and backlight got damaged. Battery works, put has zero seconds on it (must be plugged into wall at all times or the computer will abruptly shut itself off or not come on).

* Despite the list of issues above, everything was fine. However, after a few weeks, the audio stopped working and kept muting itself (I could not unmute it at all).

* I soon downloaded the System Recovery software for the Acer laptop to mend the Master Volume Control problem and restored the computer back to factory settings.

* Volume kept muting itself here and there, but I could still unmute. I put backed up files back onto the laptop. Two days after the system recovery, the audio permanently muted itself again! I could only commit to doing activities that required no audio!

* Then a few days after, the laptop halted itself from coming on permanently. The power light would still appear, but the hard drive would make these weird, low-tone noises and the screen wouldn't come at all!

Keep in mind that the computer was not hooked up to Internet.

Is this starting to paint a vivid picture for you all?

Edited by BlkRev, 18 December 2012 - 11:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users