Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Player needs update ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kelly2

kelly2

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Sometimes when playing videos I've saved to my computer this message will pop up preventing the video from playing, I'm a little leery of this, should I assume this is a legitamate request and follow through with it ?

Thanks in advance.

Kelly

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

Routine message...should only occur one time, the first time that you attempt to use Windows Media Player, in my experience.

For the record...MS has the authority/right to check validation of Windows at any time and they routinely do so when accessing Windows Update.

Louis

#3 kelly2

kelly2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Thanks hamluis, them wanting to know my ISP and accessing my computer every 90 days gives me the creeps, all I'm doing is playing a video ???? I can use my Real Player and Riva FLV with no ridiculous requests, what really bothers me is why won't they let me use the old WMP I don't even want version 11

From: Genuine Microsoft software program privacy statement.

What data is collected?

"As standard procedure, your Internet Protocol (IP) address is temporarily logged when your computer connects to a Genuine Microsoft Software website or server. These logs are routinely deleted."

"certain information about the computer being validated is derived from its IP address. This information includes geographical location, ISP (Internet service provider) and domain name. The smallest geographical unit that can be resolved is a city. This resolution is done using data provided from a third party."

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Windows changes constantly...whether critical updates or newer versions of parts or the whole.

To resist such...is battling against the normal progression we call "time"...but you have the right to do so, if that's what you wish :).

Louis

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

Windows XP comes with WMP 9.0 by default. You can download and install WMP 10.0 but when you try to install WMP 11.0 thats the normal screen you see when Windows hasn't been validated. There are ways around this if you really want WMP 11.0 but WMP isn't really a good player I use VLC Media Player.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users