Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laptop CPU upgrade confusing issues?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rsssmoore

rsssmoore

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

SYSTEM: HP Pavilion DV5-2034DX(Laptop) 3GB 1333MHz, 320GB HD 7200 rpm, Intel Graphics 4500HD, LED LCD 1366x768. Win 7 HomePrem.

Checked specs and all looked good for a cheap upgrade to I3(first gen) for hyperthreading...pulled old P6100(good paste left no overheat)
installed new I3 and powered on.

RESULT: All LED lights on, Fan spin,HD spin,...no video, no light(backlight), no keyboard key flickers as some research told me to look for.

TRIED: Battery pull, power button hold restart, External monitor (nothing). no sounds(speaker),reseated and changed slots on memory 3X.
re attatched hd and checked connections.

Hard to believe its sudden video failure? Used ESD safety precautions, only questions I have now are BIOS and board short?

Can anyone steer me in the right direction before I rip back into it and change the CPU...in the DV5 it is an almost complete disassemble board and all for CPU access.

THX Rick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Did that particular model ever come with that CPU from the factory? Does the motherboard support it from a FSB and BIOS standpoint? Do any BIOS upgrades support what you are trying to swap?

Any result holding down the "DEL" key when booting, or whatever key you hit on that HP to get into BIOS?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 rsssmoore

rsssmoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

Yes it had multiple Intel and AMD CPU options. P6100 and I3 330M 2.0GHz vs 2.13GHz same 1066 MHz FSB same 3MB L3 cache same socket. The chipset is HM55(Intel).
Bios is a suspect for me...what can I do about that now..??

#4 rsssmoore

rsssmoore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

F10 multiple strikes for Bios ,,,No Luck..DEL ALSO..F8..played the piano in the dark.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

CPU upgrades on lappys are a lot more problematic than desktops. There is a BIOS upgrade listed at HP's site but whether it expands CPU support is unknown. At this point pulling it apart and checking everything is about the only option. If nothing is obvious on disassembly, throw the old CPU back in to see if the problem is resolved.

I got no real good ideas as you have done about everything I would have done to troubleshoot it.

EDIT: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/HM55_Express.html

Edited by dpunisher, 16 November 2012 - 07:52 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

All you can do is put the old CPU back and try a BIOS upgrade making sure you have the proper bios. The wrong BIOS upgrade can kill the motherboard.
One question also. You didn't say what I3. You inferred it is a I3 330M.

Where you said

Yes it had multiple Intel and AMD CPU options. P6100 and I3 330M 2.0GHz vs 2.13GHz same 1066 MHz FSB same 3MB L3 cache same socket. The chipset is HM55(Intel).
Bios is a suspect for me...what can I do about that now..??

They are different motherboards for Intel CPU or AMD CPU.

As you have found out laptops are not real upgradable.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users