Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External 500G infected by worm

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pav12

Pav12

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

Hi everyone ,
I need some advice . I have a removable 500GB hard drive made by Toshiba . Recently Microsoft Security Essentials detected potentially harmful items on my laptop (Packard Bell with operating system Windows 7) , which I cleaned up using above program , but unfortunately I cannot clean my removable hard drive from those items ( probably source of all the problems) , every time when I connect my laptop to it Security Essentials inform me that there is a problem , than I clean again , restart and all over again . When hard drive is disconnected and I do cleaning on my laptop and than do quick scan its appear a message that everything is ok . So I am guessing that problem lies in my hard drive which is infected badly and which infection I cant remove with my Microsoft Security Essentials.
So far following advice I did few steps to discover some more details :

I hold left shift while connecting hard drive to my laptop and I did custom scan only on my hard drive , found Worm :Under SHOW DETAILS
Items I found
file:E:\waeuw.exe
file:E:\waeuw.scr
I clicked CLEAN PC and restarted it as Microsoft Security Essentials asked me .Straigh after laptop restarted( my hard drive was still connected during restarting process) Security Essentilas alerted me that my Pc is at risk , I did a quick scan this time of whole system (hard drive still connected). This time under SHOW DETAILS message appeared :
CATEORY : Worm
DESCRIPTIONS : This program is dangerous and self- propagates over a network connection
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Remove this software immediately
ITEMS:
Autoruninf:E\autorun.inf|shell execute
file:E:\autorun.inf
file:E:\wAeUW.exE

Looked like this fellow is still on my E disk (external hard drive) but this time changed his location . I pressed once more CLEAN PC and restarted , but while doing this I unconnected Hard drive and did quick scan only on my laptop . No threats were founded and Microsoft Security Essentials said that my laptop is clean. In that case looks like the whole problem is sitting in my external hard drive and I cant get rid of that .

Thank you for your time in responding to my problem

Pav

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

Hi, can you manually delete the "waeuw.exe" and "waeuw.scr" files from the external hard drive?

Plug in your drive and do the following:

Let's try an ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Check Remove found threats and Scan potentially unwanted applications (If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
  • Click advanced settings
  • Next to "current scan targets" click change
  • Do not uncheck anything, but make sure to check the box labeled E:\
  • Push the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

Please include the following in your reply
ESET log
Any questions/comments you may have

Edited by Sightless, 16 November 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#3 Pav12

Pav12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:58 AM

Hi ,
I am Appreciate for your respond , I am going everything according to your advice , let me ask one thing before I start . Shall I uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials first before I do scan , I heard that two antyviruses should not run in the same time , this may cause problems ? What do you think ?

Thnks once more time for your help

Pav

#4 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Hi, the ESET scan is an online on-demand scanner, not a real-time antivirus program. It will not interfere with Microsoft Security Essentials, so do not uninstall it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users