Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC and laptop freezing up when ethernet cable is plugged in to them

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BossGypsy

BossGypsy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hey Guys,

I've got quite a major problem on my hands, and absolutely no idea what to do.

Recently, I upgraded the houses' internet to fiber (or so its called in Chinese, living abroad in Shanghai BTW)and the within the first day of upgrading, I've seen a tremendous increase in internet speeds. However, within a day, a new problem also came up. Whenever I plug the ethernet cable into its port at the back of my PC, all the open programs suddenly stop responding, and then my PC freezes. I've tried booting up without the ethernet cable plugged in, and everything works perfectly. Yet the second I plug in the ethernet, everything stops working. The conditions are as follows:

-I am unable to CTRL - ALT - DELETE to bring up task manager.
- The mouse cursor is still moveable, but nothing can be clicked or selected
-The cursor turns into the spinning loading circle, but never finishes whatever it's trying to do.

I am forced to manually power down (hold the power button or unplug) the PC. However, rebooting in Safe Mode with Networking yields no problems. The internet connects just fine, and there is no freezing/lagging going on at all. I'm currently posting this from Safe mode w/ Networking.

The conditions are pretty much the same when I plug in the ethernet cable to my Macbook. Chrome, or whatever I'm using simply stops responding, and I get the spinning rainbow pinwheel of doom. Forced to manually power off.

This has also occurred to a friends' Macbook when he plugged in the Ethernet in an adjacent room.

Since the problem isn't isolated to a specific computer, I'm guessing it has something to do with the new router/internet the telecom company installed?

Any suggestions, solutions, or ideas?

Thanks a ton for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

for such an issue I would call internet provider and have them check it out for you

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 BossGypsy

BossGypsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:48 AM

I see, would you recommend any other solutions or possible fixes? The customer service here is terrible.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Have you tried unplugging the routers/modem power allowing it to reset? I had had intermittent issues with a now replaced modem, I would have to unplug it for a minute or two to clear the problem. Try it with and without the net cable.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users