Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KSOD VISTA SONY VAIO

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sweetiequeen

sweetiequeen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

Hi, I have an issue with my sony vaio model VGN-NS30E/P, Windows Vista. It restarts to a black screen with a white arrow cursor and will not boot up. I pressed F8 on restart to use repair my computer option. It will not open in safe mode or any of the option, including last known good configuration. I was able to restore to a previous point in time (Sun 04/11/12 which was week before the problem), however this did not fix the black screen issue.

I have attempted the following:

In command prompts:
1. Running Regedit.exe - Editing the shell name to explorer.exe - it changes but once I restart and go back into regedit the name has reverted back to what it was originally, cmd.exe
2. In regedit.exe loaded software hive to check the windows NT rpcsSs key was set to NT AUTHORIT\NetworkService
3. Deleted event logs in winevt
4. chkdsk /f /r
5.sfc /scannow - can't start the repair process
6. Tried Sticky keys - shift button 5 times however doesn't provide me with access to task manager
7. CTRL ALT DEL does not work
8. In repair computer options have run a memory diagnostic tool, says will see results when restart but my restarts go to a black screen.

Now the restore to a prevous point in time is unavailable as there are no restore dates available!! There were about 5 dates previously.

When I ran the repair your computer it said there weren't any problems. I have run this a few times and I noticed that the following message appeared at the bottom of the diagnostic and repair details:

Root Cause Found:
No OC files found on disk
Repair Action: Partition table repair
Result: completed sucessfully
Error Code: 0x0
Time Taken: 15600 ms
Failed Error Code = 0x490

I have downloaded a Windows Vista Recovery Disc to make a bootable usb or cd but I can't see an iso image file within the extracted files I downloaded. Do I need a boot manager tool or cd maker to convert the info in the downloaded files? I tried to use the step-by-step guide to making a bootable windows recovery usb from the neosmart website but it says the easy bcd will not work on an xp computer - which is the only available computer to me at the moment which is a work computer so have limited time to get anything done. How can I create a bootable usb on an xp computer to see if my vista laptop will boot up.

Any ideas what has caused KSOD situation and any solutions??

Thanks Sarah

Edited by hamluis, 23 November 2012 - 08:43 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

Welcome to BC sweetiequeen.

Try running Bootrec.exe tool from the Command Prompt.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 sweetiequeen

sweetiequeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

Hi Arachibutyrophobia, Thanks for your reply. When I get into command prompt it states the x drive, do I run bootrec.exe in x drive or c? Thanks

#4 sweetiequeen

sweetiequeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

Also ignore the part below " ": I found an isoburner online and was able to burn the downloaded vista recovery disc. Although now that I booted from the recovery disc, I learned that it gave me the same options that were in the repair my computer option within the F8 options because Vista has built in recovery. I did manage however to copy my c drive to another hard drive when clicking the load drivers options which I wasn't able to do before I used the recovery disc.

"I have downloaded a Windows Vista Recovery Disc to make a bootable usb or cd but I can't see an iso image file within the extracted files I downloaded. Do I need a boot manager tool or cd maker to convert the info in the downloaded files? I tried to use the step-by-step guide to making a bootable windows recovery usb from the neosmart website but it says the easy bcd will not work on an xp computer - which is the only available computer to me at the moment which is a work computer so have limited time to get anything done. How can I create a bootable usb on an xp computer to see if my vista laptop will boot up".

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

The C: drive usually is the hdd which has the operating system on it.
I have used XP to burn a ISO file to a CD using Imgburn, so I know it can be done.

Place a blank CD in the optical drive, open Imgburn, choose Write Image File to Disc, find the file you want to burn and click on it. In the lower left there will be a set of files with an arrow pointing to the image of a disc to the right, when it changes from the gray image to color click on it to start the burn process.

Edit: I noticed the "Also ignore the part below" which makes me wonder if you are aware that you can edit your post. In the lower right corner there are three options, Edit, Quote, MultiQuote. The edit option is time sensitive and will become unavailable 24 hours after the post is made.

Edited by dc3, 19 November 2012 - 11:33 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 sweetiequeen

sweetiequeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Hi Dc3, Thanks. I tried the fix boot in bootrec.exe my prompt opens x:\sources it said completed sucessfully but it did not solve the problem. I tried changing to the c drive and ddi

As i can't use windows how can I run a registry scan and fix using a dvd, is there a command to make the dvd drive run its contents and open?

In regedit.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWARE
MICROSOFT
WINDOWS NT
WINLOGON
SHELL - cmd.exe /k start cmd.exe

Should the shell state explorer.exe? If so how can I change this?

Thanks for your help

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by "run a registry scan". If you are referring to using a registry cleaner I would advise against it. The staff here a bleepingcomputer does not endorse the use of registry cleaners as they have the potential to damage the registry which could leave your computer inoperable. Most of the functions that are in registry cleaners can be found in a Windows operating system.

I would like to go back to your first post.

I have downloaded a Windows Vista Recovery Disc to make a bootable usb or cd but I can't see an iso image file within the extracted files I downloaded.

If you go to the Start button and right click on it there will be the option Open Windows Explorer, click on this. In the upper left corner there will be the option Downloads, click on this. You should be able to find your download in there. I don't know if this is a zip file or not, if it is the file will have a icon that looks like a folder with a zipper on it. If it is a zip file you will need a program like 7-Zip to extract the full file. When you open Imgburn click on Write files/folders to disc. When this opens use the Browse for file option to find your file. From there the instructions you found will be easy to follow.

I can't remember if the instructions at neosmart addressed the possibility that you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order. It will need to be in order to boot from the disc you will make.

#8 sweetiequeen

sweetiequeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by "run a registry scan". If you are referring to using a registry cleaner I would advise against it. The staff here a bleepingcomputer does not endorse the use of registry cleaners as they have the potential to damage the registry which could leave your computer inoperable. Most of the functions that are in registry cleaners can be found in a Windows operating system.

Yes I mean a registry cleaner, I thought that could fix the issue I have with the shell value:

In command prompt, regedit.exe:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- SOFTWARE
- MICROSOFT
- WINDOWS NT
- WINLOGON
- SHELL "cmd.exe /k start cmd.exe"

Sony have confirmed to me that the shell should state "explorer.exe", I have tried amending the value however after exit and rebooting the laptop this value reverts back to "cmd.exe /k start cmd.exe". If I can't amend the shell value then a full system recovery will be the only option they say they can advise me with.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

I did a search for information on this, what I found is a number of topics where this problem is the result of a infection.

I would suggest that you post a topic in the Am I Infected? What Do I Do? forum.
Mod Edit: Moved to AII - Hamluis.

If your issues cannot be resolved there, then you will receive further instructions as to what you need to do.

Edit: I would also suggest that you include the topic location so that whoever helps you can read what you have posted previously. Go back to the first post in this topic, in the upper right corner you will see #1, click on this and a box will open with the address to that first post. Copy that and paste in your post in the Am I Infected? forum.

Edited by hamluis, 23 November 2012 - 08:44 AM.

#10 sweetiequeen

sweetiequeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

I can see my post has been moved already.

Thanks for your help

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

You have a lot of corruption here, It is best to move once more. You need specific help with the proper backups. Youwill get one on one help.

Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Include this link back to here...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic475351.html/page__pid__2903674#top

Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users