Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has SuperAntispyware stopped updating

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cluless

Cluless

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

Hi Guys

I have Vista as my OS. AVG is my antivirus and SuperAntispyware is my malware product both are free.

For some months now if I click on SASpyware to update it tells me I have the latest version. The problem is, in the narrative it says the date of the definition I have is 16/2/2012. Any thoughts?

regards

Cluey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

What are the version numbers? Current core version is 9597 and trace is 7409. If the program is having a problem, you could download the manual updates and see if that is successful:

http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Cluless

Cluless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hi Thanks for reply, my core is 7409 and the trace is 6018

will try to update manually

regards

Cluey

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

Also see: SUPERAntiSpyware FAQs: Updating Database issues
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

my core is 7409 and the trace is 6018

Hi -
From the versions you are listing, your updates are way behind, not just a few days - Check the link from quietman7
If the problem persists and you only use the Free Version, uninstall it via Programs and Features, and re-install from this link SuperantiSpyware Free
Current is Core 9604 and Trace 7416 - I was able to manually update my version just now -

Thank You -

#6 Cluless

Cluless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

Hi Guys

I had been updating from my icon tray and kept getting a message saying that I had the latest definitions, and assumed it was updating automatically on start up. You are right I am way behind. Just updated manually from the SAS main site and have downloaded a completely new system and am now sorted.

Funny that you can carry on using an outdated system like I did for months!!!

regards to all

Cluey

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

Funny that you can carry on using an outdated system like I did for months!!!

That's why its just as important to check for program updates as well as keeping the definition file updated. The main menu in SUPERAntiSpyware will show the program version as well as the database version. SUPERAntiSpyware Free does not automatically check for program updates but the Pro version can be configured to do that.

How do I keep SUPERAntiSpyware up to date?

For maximum effectiveness, check for both program and definition updates regularly, at least once a week. To check for program and definition updates, right-click the SUPERAntiSpyware icon (the yellow/brown bug) in the system tray (near the Windows system clock), and select "Check for Updates." Follow the prompts to complete the update process.

SUPERAntiSpyware Professional allows your computer to check for updates automatically. To access SUPERAntiSpyware Professional's automatic update features, click the "Preferences" button on the SUPERAntiSpyware main menu, and open the "Updates" tab..SUPERAntiSpyware Professional can be set to check for program updates on startup, and to check for program and definition updates every 8 hours. .

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users