Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeing Pop Up Ads When Viewing Abrams' Guides

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 AlwaysANewbie

AlwaysANewbie

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

Hi all! Just finished a very lengthy read of several of the Guides prepared by Lawrence Abrams that detail the use of RKiller, TDSSKiller, Malwarebytes, etc. The Guides include several screenshots that were extremely helpful to me when trying to follow the instructions. Pictures are very definitely worth a thousand words!
I noticed that popup ads appeared under each screenshot for various automobiles, a different model with each and every screenshot. Sometimes the ad had 1 button for <Locate A Dealer> and sometimes the ad had several buttons, for <Build Your Own>, for <Search Inventory>, and for <Request A Quote>. So, I am curious to know if other users of our forum have had a similiar experience when reading these great guides by Mr Abrams, or is it just me? And, if it is just me, does this mean that my browser is infected by something from my registration on the bleepingcomputer forum? Thank you.

Edited by Andrew, 16 November 2012 - 03:12 AM.
Mod Edit: Moved to comments - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:16 AM

Advertisements are shown on the guides unless you are logged on with your forum account. I don't know if popups are being served, we'll have to wait to hear from Grinler (AKA Lawrence Abrams).

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,676 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

We do not allow popups to be displayed on the site. If one is being shown it is either a rogue advertisement or an infection on your computer.

Now are these actually popup ads, or just small ads shown at the bottom of the images? If ads are at the bottom of the images, that is intended. Only one or two ads are shown per page. If you are actually seeing popups that is a different story.

As always, if you are logged in, you will never see ads on the site.

#4 AlwaysANewbie

AlwaysANewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

We do not allow popups to be displayed on the site. If one is being shown it is either a rogue advertisement or an infection on your computer.

Now are these actually popup ads, or just small ads shown at the bottom of the images? If ads are at the bottom of the images, that is intended. Only one or two ads are shown per page. If you are actually seeing popups that is a different story.

As always, if you are logged in, you will never see ads on the site.

Hi all! Thanks for the responses. Grinler- I was logged in (having only recently registered and seeking help with a Windows XP won't start issue, and not having signed out). The ads "popup" after viewing the screen shot and each ad pops up on the very bottom of the screen shot as soon as the screen shot is in full view. For example, while viewing the 8 screen shots that accompany the self help guide called: Using Malwarebytes (MBAM) to remove the XP Antivirus Pro 2013 program from your computer prepared on 11-4-12, I view 8 different popup ads, starting with an ad for the Dodge Avenger (which is a beautiful car, IMO). Each subsequent screenshot then gets a popup for a different car. The popups gave me no interference but the unsuspecting newbie might inadvertently click on 1 of the buttons included with the popup and then get whished away into a web site ripe with infectious vulnerabilities. You know the drill. Anyway, thought you should know about this. And thanks for the great guides.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,676 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Can you take a screenshot of the screens and post them here so I can see them? That will help immensely as I cant replicate it.

You may also want to follow the steps in this guide to be safe:

How to use Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to remove rootkits from a Computer

#6 AlwaysANewbie

AlwaysANewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

Can you take a screenshot of the screens and post them here so I can see them? That will help immensely as I cant replicate it.

You may also want to follow the steps in this guide to be safe:

How to use Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to remove rootkits from a Computer

To Grinler- certainly, please advise as to how to make the screenshots for you to examine, and, specifically, do you want to see 1 or more than 1 screenshots?
Again, thanks for taking the time to prepare the great guides. IMO, they are a must read for anyone considering asking for help with the removal of an infection.
Have a great weekend.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

please advise as to how to make the screenshots for you to examine

<spam>
I wrote an app for that.
</spam>
:whistle:

Edited by Andrew, 17 November 2012 - 12:29 AM.

#8 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

holy cr*p - I just tried that app for the screen shot capture!

Andrew, I >bow< to your awesomeness!

I'm comfortable taking screen shots and what not but the wife...eh, not so much, so I showed her the app (and the simply walk through process) and *poof* she's got a new tool in the toolbox.

Thank you!

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#9 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

Oh, AlwaysANewbie - not sure what AV you're using (both me and my wife are using Avast!) and upon first launching the app, my Avast! popped up and took a moment to analyze Andrew's app - I wasn't concerned about it (since I downloaded it from Andrew's website) but wanted to make mention that which ever AV you're using you may get the "whoa!" pop up saying there's an issue with the certificate and yada, yada, yada.

It has not happened after the initial launch.

Thought you should know.

Winterland

#10 AlwaysANewbie

AlwaysANewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

please advise as to how to make the screenshots for you to examine

<spam>
I wrote an app for that.
</spam>
:whistle:

Thank you, Andrew, I appreciate your offer to help me out. If I download A Thousand Words
from your web site, what happens? (or what is supposed to happen?). The documentation on the web site is lacking
in this important detail. Also, on the web site, I see what looks like screenshots of the A Thousand Words program. Is this as it will appear after I install it? But, the note on the bottom of the page says that the program does not require installation? So how do I get it to work and how do I remove it once I am finished using it, or is it meant to be kept on hand for use whenever I want to use it?
I write and edit Help Me Files and other Support Documentation as part of my business interest. Let me know if you want me to prepare a draft for you to help market A Thousand Words (in English).

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

When you run the executable, a brief wizard will snap a picture of your screen. You have the option to edit the image before the wizard saves the picture to your desktop. Once you're done, simply delete the 'A Thousand Words.exe' file; no install or uninstall is required. And, yes those are screenshots. :busy:

Edited by Andrew, 17 November 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

holy cr*p - I just tried that app for the screen shot capture!

Andrew, I >bow< to your awesomeness!

I'm comfortable taking screen shots and what not but the wife...eh, not so much, so I showed her the app (and the simply walk through process) and *poof* she's got a new tool in the toolbox.

Thank you!

onward,

Winterland

:blush: Aww shucks

#13 AlwaysANewbie

AlwaysANewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

Oh, AlwaysANewbie - not sure what AV you're using (both me and my wife are using Avast!) and upon first launching the app, my Avast! popped up and took a moment to analyze Andrew's app - I wasn't concerned about it (since I downloaded it from Andrew's website) but wanted to make mention that which ever AV you're using you may get the "whoa!" pop up saying there's an issue with the certificate and yada, yada, yada.

It has not happened after the initial launch.

Thought you should know.

Winterland

Winterland- Thank you for this note of caution. Much appreciated. I am running AVG Free 2012, last updated today, 11-17-12, on a Windows 7 SP 1 O/S, which did not have any problem with my download of thousandwords. It did, however, get very excited when I attempted to download a program called RogueKiller! AVG said that this was malware and a 4 star severity threat! The "Threat name" was called: IDP.Trojan.97AC54E5. This certainly got my attention! But this is a thread about popups happening when reading the Abrams' Guides and I want to abide by the 1 thread 1 problem rule.....so, can I ask you Winterland, do you see the popup ads that I posted about when you read the Guides?
Thanks!

#14 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

Good morning everyone.

AlwaysANewbie, I did not see any pop up ads when browsing this Guide:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-antispyware-pro-2013/

but I did notice the small ads shown at the bottom of the images once I hovered over any screenshot. As Grinler made note:

If ads are at the bottom of the images, that is intended. Only one or two ads are shown per page.

I did make note that there were definitely more than one or two ads....heck there was an ad at the bottom of every screen shot I hovered over but that's okay with me. It's a wealth of information and a small price I'm gladly willing to pay to hang out in these parts.

I'm going to attached a couple of images - one of a screenshot before I moved my cursor over it and two after I've done so.

The ads pop up when my cursor is moved over the screenshot, no clicking/selecting required.

Are these the type of ads that you're seeing? (I hope I'm doing this right - Photobucket's "new" features are ghastly!)

Posted Image[/img]

Posted Image

Posted Image[/img]

Off to the Huddle House for some breakfast with my beautiful (but kinda nut-job) wife, will check in later.

Onward,

Winterland

#15 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,676 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

The image ads are normal. Popups would not be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users