Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive boiling and now windows is "not validated".

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Verytired

Verytired

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

I woke up one morning to a constant spin-up, click click, spin-up. Touching the hard drive was almost impossible since it was near boiling temperature. I'm currently typing from that hard drive. This was 8 days ago. Since then I've been watching the sin-up time with SMART and other business like a hawk, and I put it further down the bays so that it's isolated and getting more air to prevent overheating in case it was an issue where it was getting a thermal air pocket.

Your hard disk is a WDC WD5000AAKS-22V1A0 with firmware 05.01D05.
The average temperature for this hard disk model is 37C (min=27C max=50C) and yours is 35C.

Attribute Current Raw
Raw Read Error Rate 200 000000000000
Spin Up Time 186 000000000682
Start/Stop Count 99 00000000049B
Reallocated Sector Count 200 000000000000
Seek Error Rate 200 000000000000
Power On Hours Count 86 000000002A48
Spin Retry Count 100 000000000000
Calibration Retry Count 100 000000000000
Power Cycle Count 99 000000000494
Power Off Retract Count 200 000000000079
Load Cycle Count 200 000000000421
Reallocated Event Count 200 000000000000
Current Pending Sector 200 000000000000
Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count 200 000000000000
Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate 200 000000000000
Write Error Rate 200 000000000000

All the attributes of your hard disk are above the S.M.A.R.T. thresholds set by the manufacturer. This is good.

NOTE : your hard disk Power On Hours Count attribute current value (86) is below the normal range (92 - 100) reported for your specific hard disk model. Basically your hard disk was powered on for more than the maximum time the average user did. This means that either all of the reports collected are from hard disks that were not powered on for too long (this is realistic for recent models) or that your hard disk is becoming old. Usually this is not considered as a pre-failure advisory, but you should check whether you want to replace the hardware or keep an eye on its performances over time.

The overall fitness for this drive is 100%.
The overall performance for this drive is 100%.

The link to get back and see a new report about this hard disk in the future is this. Consider that new hard disks and new checks are added over time.

Right after the boiling morning the spin-up was 159, then it dropped to 140 for a while, and now it's been slowly climbing it's way back up, which a resultant lower raw value, which I read was supposed to be better than high raw.

Today it's started misbehaving again. I was in the middle of a game when the whole system froze and I heard the spin-up of the hard drive, as if it had come to a sudden stop and restarted itself. Things went back to normal, but then it happened again and it dumped in a blue screen and automatically went into checkdisking itself when it came back on.

I've wondered about the possibility of the SATA cable being bad, or possible the SATA port itself. If I move the cable around without dislodging it from the HDD or Mobo ports, it tends to cause this same power down/spin-up problem.

Can Excessive cycling cause the boiling temps?
Does it sound like the cable or the hard drive itself is causing the issue?
Could a loose video card also cause this? I have tightened it since to make sure it doesn't unseat from it's slot.

Also, after that first failure I now get Software licensing windows about how it's not genuine windows whenever I open calculator or other objects, and I can't correct that with my key.

Edited by Verytired, 15 November 2012 - 09:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

Excessive cycling can cause problems. I had an external HDD and there was something wrong with the USB, possibly operating as USB 1 rather than 2. On swopping to other ports it stopped churning, data rate went up and it cooled down.

I don't know how you can test cables without replacing them. Even then you don't know if the sockets in the hardware at either end are good. As you pointed out, you don't know if its a MB fault either. I suppose you could put the HDD in another PC to test.

The average temp in the test was fine. The max of 50 is within the tolerance of most HDDs. Google published a report which concluded that temps below 45 have no effect on drive life and that newer drives are less susceptible to high temps than old drives.

Case design can affect HDD temps. If the fans are at the back, the cooling for any HDDs at the front depend on air flowing through the front. If you take the side off, that kills any forced cooling. That applies to most fan configurations.

The video card is not causing the HDD to run hot but it could be relevant to any blue screens. Perhaps there is a general case temperature issue? Stick a thermometer in or as a poor substitute use MB temp.

#3 Verytired

Verytired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:42 AM

The day after I posted, at around noon it did it again after having been on for a few hours. also, the spin up numbers were super high. 187 etc. 139 is the worst by S.M.A.R.T., and my numbers were around 140-141. I took out the old Serial ATA cable and replaced it with a spare, and the issue has stopped and the numbers are back down to 141 steady for spin up time. After 4 days without a glitch, the cable appears to be the issue. Not sure how the cable failed (excessive heat, mechanical abuse from CPU fan?), but Im glad my hard drive isn't dying.

Edited by Verytired, 20 November 2012 - 02:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users