Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CompTIA A+

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:04 PM

I have to disagree with Tim_K.  You need to learn to walk before you can run.  You need a steady foundation to build upon and the A+ and Network+ give you that foundation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:03 PM

I have to disagree with Tim_K.  You need to learn to walk before you can run.  You need a steady foundation to build upon and the A+ and Network+ give you that foundation.

I do like this advice and kind of what I was thinking after I posted. I have since opted to learn the fundamentals which also open up some good career opportunities. 

#18 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:05 PM

I have been learning CompTIA on some online tech schools now as well as well as reading some e-books and tinkering around with building my own PC. I feel I am fairly competent now with the 802 but will still need a bit more time on the 801. I was thinking about booking myself the exams to take in about three months time. What are your thoughts on this?

Also am I right in thinking you must pass both the 801 and 802 at the same time or can you do these at different times? I understand though that you must pass both of these for the CompTIA A+ accreditation.

One more thing is do any of you have any idea about the fees of the exam/s?

Thanks.

#19 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,212 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:54 PM

You can pass the exams at different times, but will not be certified until you pass both.

I can only tell you what I've done in the past for certifications.  I study with an Exam Cram style book, just the want you need to know, without the fluff.  I take the Transcender practice tests until I'm getting 90% on a consistent basis, then I schedule the exam within a week and continue to cram until that time.  I took both my hardware and software A+ exams on the same day.

All of that said, I'm a test taker and have always done well on tests.  Others may need a different method if they do not test well.

#20 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:21 PM

You can pass the exams at different times, but will not be certified until you pass both.

I can only tell you what I've done in the past for certifications.  I study with an Exam Cram style book, just the want you need to know, without the fluff.  I take the Transcender practice tests until I'm getting 90% on a consistent basis, then I schedule the exam within a week and continue to cram until that time.  I took both my hardware and software A+ exams on the same day.

All of that said, I'm a test taker and have always done well on tests.  Others may need a different method if they do not test well.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Firstly thanks for this information. This is probably how I will try and do mine too. I bought a book but that was on a kindle but I now think that a paperback with media cd would be better.

Secondly I have noticed recently the 900 series come out. I think this might just be some added info built on the 800 series and so I am thinking I might have to look into that before scheduling the exams.

Also even though I have had a bit of practical experience such as making my own PC and taking things apart etc I also think now that I will try and get some hand's on experience in some computer repair shops, IT companies etc either voluntarily or with low level pay.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks.

#21 SWSS

SWSS

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:29 PM

Just picked up the CompTia A+ Complete study guide, 3rd Ed. 901&902 as the 800 series ares going as the previous ones.

#22 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:48 PM

hi again, I am not sure I am going about my studies the right way. What I am currently deciding on doing is finishing the information library course online that I am on and in addition reading Mark Meyers CompTIA A++ study all in one guide as well reading the pearson exam cram book. What I do is finish one section online and then read the same section again on the books and then move onto the next section online and repeat the process. Does this seem like a good idea, too much or maybe something more I could do?

Thanks.

#23 ufc2084

ufc2084

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:35 PM

hi again, I am not sure I am going about my studies the right way. What I am currently deciding on doing is finishing the information library course online that I am on and in addition reading Mark Meyers CompTIA A++ study all in one guide as well reading the pearson exam cram book. What I do is finish one section online and then read the same section again on the books and then move onto the next section online and repeat the process. Does this seem like a good idea, too much or maybe something more I could do?

Thanks.

I actually just finished taking an A+ class that is offered locally in my area and my instructor cant speak highly enough about the Mike Meyers CompTIA A+ all in one study guide and the Pearson exam cram A+ book. For myself, I just started reading chapters from the Mike Meyers CompTIA book that corresponded with the topic I was learning from in class, but personally, I dont think there is a correct order of reading them, I just feel what ever seams more comfortable for you. It seams like your doing the same thing I am though and its working for me. Hope this helps, and good luck !

#24 VincePolston

VincePolston

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:41 AM

@ufc2084,

Completely agree with your instructor about the exam cram series of books. David Prowse' Exam Cram A+ book is incredible. Whenever I am helping other people with the A+ objectives I suggest watching Professor Messer's videos and reading the Exam Cram book. I normally say read the book sections first and then watch Messer's corresponding video.

#25 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:01 AM

Am currently studying for the A+ as I wish to follow a career into computing.

My current studying material is the Comptia A+ Ninth Edition by Mike Meyers and some 901/902 Practice Tests on examcompass.com

I've seen people mentioning Professor Messer's videos often so will look into giving that a try as well.

Any tips as in when should I know that I am ready to take the exam ? I plan to take it sometime before Christmas if studying goes as planned.

#26 salina84

salina84

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 13 November 2016 - 10:54 AM

Am currently studying for the A+ as I wish to follow a career into computing.

My current studying material is the Comptia A+ Ninth Edition by Mike Meyers and some 901/902 Practice Tests on examcompass.com

I've seen people mentioning Professor Messer's videos often so will look into giving that a try as well.

Any tips as in when should I know that I am ready to take the exam ? I plan to take it sometime before Christmas if studying goes as planned.

Review this materials from www.exam-labs.com  website, I did the 220-801 exam a month ago and prepared only from the materials in this website, 70% of the questions appeared in my exam.
Hope it helps. 

#27 macuser

macuser

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 04:23 PM

got my A+ back in 08. thought it would open career doors. never happened. few interviews I got I was told "you don't have any experience". how do you get experience when no one will hire you?  then again, I know at least 3 friends that have high paying computer jobs with less formal IT training than I have and no certs. boils down to connections I guess, who you know!?!

Edited by macuser, Yesterday, 04:24 PM.

#28 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,212 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 11:35 AM

About the only jobs you're going to get with just A+ are the Level 1 Help Desk jobs.  Realistically you don't even need A+ to get those jobs, but it will put you higher on the list than those without.  If you want to break into the IT field use the A+ to get some short term, 30 day to six month, contract jobs so that you can get the experience.

#29 macuser

macuser

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 06:47 PM

thanks for the tip. not sure id want to sit at a desk and answer calls all day. Id rather work on the computers in the field or at a work bench. not sure if such a job exists or what the title of that job would be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users