Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Overload?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 i_will_punish

i_will_punish

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:52 PM

I keep trying to plug in things like my camera or ipod into my computer's usb ports but I keep getting a message that says I've exceeded the power and that I need an adapter... Isn't there a way to fix this without buying anything new.... If not then what kind of adapter and where can I get one? PLEASE HELP I NEED MY IPODDDDD :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:57 PM

I have seen this problem with many different types of computers, but especially with DELLs. I have worked around the problem two different ways.

1) buy a USB expansion card, one that will fit in a blank expansion slot on your motherboard. Use these USB ports from now on.

or,

2) buy a USB hub that has it's own power cord. This power cord will plug into the wall and will power your USB devices, in other words your devices will no longer be depending upon the low power that your computer's USB ports are providing.

Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:11 PM

Devices that do not draw power frrom a USB port (like a light, a fan, etc) should not overload the USB controllers.

You wouldn't believe what people plug into USB ports though - coffee warmers, lights, etc. Why would anyone need stuff like that?

In any case, go to the device manager (control panel/system/hardware/device manager) and see if there are any yellow or red warning marks. If there are, delete the devices so marked, reboot and let Windows find and install them again.

If nothing is marked, update the drivers on the controllers and hubs, and of course, Alberts suggestion to install an additional USB hub via pci slot is a great suggestion as well. Some even include a firewire port which can definitely come in handy if you have a camera that uses one.

Edited by Enthusiast, 22 March 2006 - 05:13 PM.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:33 AM

You wouldn't believe what people plug into USB ports though - coffee warmers, lights, etc. Why would anyone need stuff like that?

I once saw a lava lamp that plugged into a USB port. It was kinda cool! But totally unneccessary, to be sure.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 i_will_punish

i_will_punish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for the device list... Now I can at least ask a computer salesman for what I want without sounding like a dunce :thumbsup:

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:55 AM

You can get what you need HERE. Remember, you need a USB hub w/external power, or check your computer to see if you have a PCI slot available, then get a USB expansion card (sometimes called a PCI to USB card).

That should take care of your issues. If not, report back here and we can keep trying!

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 23 March 2006 - 07:58 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#7 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:35 PM

One highly rated USB PCI card is THIS ONE.
Another is THIS ONE.

A highly rated USB + Firewire PCI card is HERE.
Another one is HERE.

You probably won't find better quality and prices than these. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users