Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extreme Lag and Intermittant Latency during game play

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Let me premise this with the comment, that I am not certain if this is the correct forum to describe my gaming problem and request for help to obtain assistance for a solution, but since the problem was first detected while playing a couple online games, I guess I will at least start here.

Over the past couple weeks, I have encountered extremely and gradually increased latency, lag and actual freezing while in game play. Particularly while playing Diablo III. There are a couple much older games that I played and they too are peforming poorly with the same above issues and problems. The interesting thing about the lag/latency/freezing is that the game/s start out great. However, after a couple minutes to 10 or 15 minutes into the game, depending upon which online game I am playing, the lag starts creeping in and out, then more steadily until eventually the game freezes and then it is even difficult to exit or log off the game to get back to the desktop. Diable III tech support says that the problem is either with my ISP, or my computer, but are unfortunately unable to further assist me. My ISP states that it is a Diable III server/client issue or a problem with my computer, and they too said that they are unable to further assist me.

So, this is what I have done on my own to try and resolve the issue. I completed all my various virus checks and all my security software reports and results state my system is clean. I have double/triple checked my msconfig to ensure only essential items are running in the background. I have checked to ensure all my hardware has the correct and upgraded drivers. I have cleaned temp files of any unnecessary garbage. I only run Zone Alarm in game mode when playing games and I turned off all other anti virus/anti phishing/anti spyware programs in order to optimize performance ( Granted, I have ran my antivirus software in the background before and never had any problems or issues until just recently). I have contacted my ISP and had them run diagnostics on my modem and my computers connection to the internet, and they have advised that my connection and the upload/download results are well within parameters. I have ran speedtest.com and the avg d/l is anywhere from 26 to 32 MBps and 4 to 6 MBps u/l.

I have 3 computers hard wired/ported onto a linksys router network which then connects to the cable modem. My wife's computer "is not" a gaming computer. However, there are 2 gaming computers assigned to my network, mine and another member in the household. The other computer is experiencing "absolutely no lag, no latency, nor any freezing problems." The other gaming computer is getting roughly the same speedtest.com results as mine. The other gaming computer is basically the same machine as mine with the exception that it has 4 less GB of Ram and a slightly less quality Video Card. Prior to this problem, both gaming computers could play online games simultaneously without any lag. Now, my computer is the only one that encounters the aforementioned problems, even when my computer is the only one in use.

I have tried switching the cable connections to the various router ports to see if that would make any differnce or not, but to no avail. I am still experiencing the same gradual build up of lag/latency/freezing after several minutes of game play no matter what online game I am playing. I have tried to see if there is any lag or issues while web surfing on YouTube and other movie/video/music type sites that require alot of download / upload packet transferring of data. And, I really cannot tell if the performance is any different than it was before. Online- Videos, movies, and music all seem to download and play pretty well without any noticible lag or latency that I can tell anyways. I have attempted to play the online games during both peak and non-peak hours, and I still have the same results.

The only other item that comes to mind is my kids I-Touches that are using the Wi-Fi signal coming out of the router. I am not sure whether or not what they are downloading or how they are using them, if it has any major impact on just one gaming computers performance or not. I don't recall there being an issue before to the best of my knowledge.

So, I have exhausted my mental abilities as to how to resolve the above aforementioned problems on my computer. I humbly come here to ask for help in hope that I will be able to get my system back up and running the way it was before.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by hYlAnDeR~TFC, 16 November 2012 - 01:36 PM.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~
[OF/FA] Orion Faction-Retired
Game Squad Fleet Admiral~Retired

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

Hi, please give us your computer stats, processor, memory, graphics card, etc. Also, does that other "gaming" computer experience the same lag in the same games? If not, then you should focus on your machine. It could be a bad memory stick or the video card itself. I have not heard of any memory leak issues in D3 in recent times. You will probably have to use the process of elimination by putting new memory sticks in one at a time and seeing of the situation repeats itself. You could potentially use the hardware from the other machine as "known good parts" to experiment with.
What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

#3 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will provide the computer stats in detail once I get home as I am currently at work. The other gaming machine does play at least 1 similular online game (i.e. Battlefield 3), we have played this simultaneously without any hiccups in the past, but not lately since that game is currently inoperable on my computer and I am awaiting EA tech support to hopefully get BF3 back up and running on my machine again. Otherwise, the other gaming machine plays only a couple other games not simular to mine.

Should I download and run "memtest86" before I check to see if there are any problems on my computers memory before I start swapping memory sticks? If so, I will probably need step by step help with the memtest86 program.

The other machine has 12GB ram while I have 16GB. I may have to wait until the other member in the household is available before we open up boxes and exchange memory sticks to see what is going on there. But, I will at least get you my computer stats before late tonight so you will know what I am working with.

By any chance, is it possible, if it isnt a memory or video card problem, that it could be a power supply unit (PSU) or Graphics Processor Unit (GPU) problem as well? Is the GPU a part of the actual video card, or is the GPU part of the motherboard, just curios.

Thanks.

Edited by hYlAnDeR~TFC, 15 November 2012 - 05:59 PM.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#4 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

Here is the short version of what you asked for:

System Specs:

Make and Model of Computer:

PC clone with: Intel Core i7-2600 cpu @ 3.40HGz-3.70GHz

RAM: Type: DDR3Size: 4096 MBytesManufacturer: KingstonMax Bandwidth: PC3-10700 (667 MHz)Part Number: KHX1600C9D3/4GX Serial Number: 8A2F183AWeek/year: 51 / 11SPD Ext.: EPP
16.0 GB ram Total

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z68AP-D3 (Socket 1155)

nVidia GeForce GTX560 2 GB RAM

Computer is hard wired to modem.

ISP provider is Cox Communications.

Router Information: Cisco/Linksys model: WRT160Nv2

Distance from PC approx 1-2 Ft.

Internet Connection is through Cable

Here is a link to a Speccy I just performed with the long version computer stats, or expanded computer stats if you find them helpful as well.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TgxB41hiSSg75txxmZjjk7S

By the way, after you have had an opportunity to check out the computer stats and have determined if we are going to run any type of system checks regarding the hardware, I did want you to know that my system is only approximately 6 months old and I have a 3 year warranty on the Mobo and CPU. So, before I open the case, I will need to contact Fry's to ask them whether or not my removing and reinstalling Memory sticks voids the warranty or not. So, I'll contact them first before we do any surgery on the inside of the box. And, if you think that after you have had an opportunity to diagnose the problem and conclude that it is either the memory or video card, I can take my box back to Fry's to have them fix it since I think the store offers a 1 yr warranty in addition the the 3 yr warranty I purchased for just the Mobo and CPU.

Edited by hYlAnDeR~TFC, 15 November 2012 - 08:33 PM.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#5 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

I contacted Fry's, and they said that my removing and/or reinstalling Mem Sticks will not void the 3 yr warranty. So, if and when we need to start popping mem sticks, I'll just pop them all out and then pop in 1 at a time until I find the possible bad mem stick or sticks. It looks like I have 4 of them. I haven't really worked on building computers in over 10+ years, but I think I should be able to handle this. I found the Kingston documents for my memory installed, and it says that they have a lifetime warranty on them. So, if I do find any bad sticks, I'll deal with that separately. I sure hope that this is the problem and that it is not the Graphics Card... ouch!

Look forward to hearing back from you and the next step of instructions.

Thank you.
hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#6 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

You might be better off leaving all memory in the machine and then replacing one at a time so you can play the "culprit" game(s) and then you can determine which stick it is. This is what I would do first. Then do the same with the graphics card if all memory seems good.

Do you get any BSOD's? Any with a Memory Management type of error?

Is all that RAM from the factory or did you buy separately? Is all the exact same brand and type? Are all seated properly?
What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

#7 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

No, I have not had any 'BLUE SCREEN OF DEATHS' on my machine with any error messages, not ever. I actually was able to watch a couple episodes of "Boardwalk Empire" on HBO-GO last night on the computer and the graphics and video streaming worked flawlessly. So, I think we are heading in the right direction with this being a memory stick problem. I did try to go back in to play a couple online games after watching my tv episodes, but had no luck again. As soon as I entered the game, it became heavily induced with lag and freezing.

The memory sticks are Kingstons I believe and they were actually installed by Fry's tech team at the store. Fry's actually build the whole computer. I just picked out what components I wanted and they put it together for me and installed Win7... for a nomimal price, of course. I believe that all 4 memory sticks are from the same manufacturer and brand, so they should all be exact.

Just for clarification on the instructions for checking the memory sticks, if I understand you correctly, did you want me to leave all the memory in the slots and simply just remove 1 stick at a time, then reboot, and then check the performance of the machine and the online games, and then simply repeat the process until the bad memory stick is identified? And, when removing the 1 stick each time, do I just take out the stick and leave that slot empty, or do I need to move the other sticks over? For example, if I remove a mem stick from slot 4, then slot 1,2 and 3, would just remain where they are. But, if I remove a mem stick from slot 3, 2, or 1, do I need to ensure that these slots are replaced with a known working mem stick in order for the computer to see them and work? Or, does it even matter whether the memory slot is filled or not for the computer to see them and for them and the computer to work? Does this make sense?

Thanks.

Edited by hYlAnDeR~TFC, 16 November 2012 - 01:36 PM.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#8 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hi, You have so much ram in that machine that it may not be a bad idea to leave one slot empty rather than replacing it with the memory from the other machine. I don't think you'll see any loss due to removing only one. Usually you want to replace or remove then in pairs. But for this exercise let's do one at a time. Leave the others in their original positions. Make sure to give it a long enough period to start the lagging. If it runs well, then shut down and replace the memory and see if it runs bad again. If it does, could you get Fry's to replace it?

If this doesn't get us anywhere we could also start replacing the memory from the other machine and see what happens. Then the graphics card as well.

Does the other machine have the same memory and graphics card?

FYI, the GPU is the video card. The CPU is the processor on the motherboard of the machine itself. Are you only experiencing this with certain games? If so, anything other than D3? During graphically intense moments or just a continual build up of lag over time and then it is unbearable?

Edited by Dacar92, 16 November 2012 - 05:22 PM.

#9 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

Awesome!

Thanks for the clarification regarding the GPU. I was not certain if this pertained just to the video card, or if it pertained to another type of video processor on the actual mother board.

I am only experiencing significant build up of lag/latency/freezing while playing online multiplayer type games such as Diable III, Call of Duty, Battlefield 3, Starsiege etc. I did not get much if any lag while streaming an episode of Boardwalk Empire from the HBO-GO website last night. However, I did have a couple instances where the video streaming stopped for a couple seconds and then it continued, but this is pretty normal and similar to how that website works when downloading/streaming and watching video. I don't think that this would be something that would be considered graphically intensive. But, the games are certainly graphically intensive and this is where the build up occurs until it is unbearable.

The other machine has a different graphics card and different manufacturer/brand/type and amount of ram per mem stick installed. So, I will not be able to accurately compare or use it in order to diagnose the problem on my machine.

I did not realize that I had too much ram in my machine. But, this is my first new build computer upgrade in over 8 years. So, I thought I would just go "BIG" when I had this one built. I'll take your word for it if there is only 1 bad mem stick, I'll just leave the slot empty.

If there is a bad memory stick, per my contact with Fry's, they said I would have to go through the manufacturer for a refund since they have a lifetime warranty on their memory products and it would be handled via U.S. Mail.

I won't be able to do this memory checking procedure until tomorrow. But, once I finish, I will post back here hopefully tomorrow night with the results and findings.

Thanks again for your help and I'll post back tomorrow.
hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#10 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

It could also be bad ram on the graphics card but that is probably pretty rare. But we should keep an open mind here with regard to the process of elimination.

The other machine has a different graphics card and different manufacturer/brand/type and amount of ram per mem stick installed. So, I will not be able to accurately compare or use it in order to diagnose the problem on my machine.

What card does it have? We could still use it if it is halfway decent and can play those games.

I did not realize that I had too much ram in my machine. But, this is my first new build computer upgrade in over 8 years. So, I thought I would just go "BIG" when I had this one built. I'll take your word for it if there is only 1 bad mem stick, I'll just leave the slot empty.

You don't have too much. Just a lot. Some games don't know how to use that much memory so taking some out could get us some progress here.

Edited by Dacar92, 17 November 2012 - 07:40 PM.

#11 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

Ok,

Well, I completed the Mem-Stick maunual diagnostic test. And, It doesn't appear that that the memory is the culprit. I took out 1 stick at a time as you suggested while leaving all the others in to test. I still had the same latency/lag/freezing results after approximately 3 to 5 minutes in some cases depending upon the game type played, and in some cases it took about 10 minutes. Then, I did the test in pairs, i.e leaving slot 1 and 2 in, taking 3 and 4 out; leaving 3 and 4 in, taking 1 and 2 out; leaving 1 and 3 in, taking 2 and 4 out; leaving 2 and 4 in, taking 1 and 3 out; leaving 1 and 4 in, taking 2 and 3 out, leaving 2 and 3 in, taking 1 and 4 out, and still the same results. Then, I took them all out and just put 1 in at a time and each single mem stick resulted with the same outcome. The process took over 2 1/2 to 3 hours all together, but it was worth it

So, I took my box down to Fry's, and explained everything that I have done up to this point to try and figure out what might be the cause of this dilemaa. They said that they could do a diagnostic to isolate exactly what piece of hardware is malfunctioning for $75.00, but said that based on what I have described, that it most likely at this point sounds like a video card (gpu) problem and it is up to me whether or not to leave my computer there and have them diagnose it for me. They seemed very confident that my computer problem was the video card, the 2 tech support guys that were there were hardcore gamers and said they have had the exact similar experiences as mine. Also, they said, unfortunately, the video card is no longer under store warranty, but that it is still under manufacturer warranty and that I would have to deal directly with them (nVidia) - gx450 sc 2GB card. They said it will take approximately at least 1 month after I ship it to them to get it back and it would either be rebuilt or replaced. But, that would leave me without a computer, as unfortunately I do not have a backup video card - Doh! So, I would naturally have to purchase a cheap card to keep going for the next month or so until my video card comes back. Of course, It is very tempting to buy another exact card and stick it in there and then when the other one gets shipped back to me I would be running "DUEL VIDEO CARDS"!!! But, I'm not sure at $250 a pop that that is going to fly too well with the Mrs., if you know what I mean.

With regards to the other computer in the household that is similar to mine, the computer owner was not comfortable popping out any of his hardware in order to help me test my computer to determine what is working and/or not working. So, this is a bit of a roadblock for me and that is why I took my box to Fry's hoping that they could give me some good advice and help me. I have my box at home now and is all hooked up and running. But, it looks like I'll be needing to get the nvidia address and contact info to prepare a shipment under the warranty while pondering whether to get a cheap backup video card for the time being.

If you have any type of software that is capable of testing hardware on other computer via remote, I am willing to do that if that is an option. Or, if you know of any freeware software that I may download to test and confirm what I have been told. If you have anything else to suggest or try, I am certainly open and willing to try that too! You have been very helpful and I truly appreciate your time and your experience in this matter. Like I mentioned before, It has been well over 10 to 12 years since I build my last computer, and that was with Win98SE and video cards that still used KB RAM SVGA instead of MB or GB, KB's and MB's of RAM Sticks instead of GB's RAM sticks.... and well you get the picture.
hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#12 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Well, the video card was on the list of things to do. If you cannot get another one to use for 15 or 20 minutes then I guess you'll have to send it back in. Video card swapping is very easy and not very time consuming. Let me know what you decide.

Thanks

#13 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

Well,

I went to Fry's, picked up another video card, popped it in and rebooted etc. I played a few games and again.... still the same problems :(

I think I may have to take the box into Fry's and drop $75 for them to do an actual individual hardware diagnostic to see what is wrong. I was certain based on what he have discussed so far and based on what Fry's was saying that it was a video card problem. But, I am at the end of my abilities to figure this one out unless you have any further ideas or suggestions before I take my box down to Fry's this afternoon. I do find it almost impossible that all the mem sticks would be bad, but I guess it could happen. And, I think there would be other issues and problems involved with that if the memory sticks were the issue.
hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#14 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Is your video card connected to power? It is hard to do this kind of troubleshooting without being there. I am almost out of ideas.

#15 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

I understand completely.

I went ahead and dropped off my box at Fry's today. I guess they will do an full system diagnostic for $70 to find out exactly what is wrong. I was trying to save the $70, but since I bought all the components at Fry's Electronics and had them put it together for me, hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it...

I do really appreciate your assistance and help. I would not have got half as far as I did without it! If, by any chance they are unable to determine what exactly is the problem, once I get my machine back home, I'll post back to let you know either way. They said it will be about 2 to 3 days until they get to my box. So, hopefully I will post back to you before Thanksgiving.

Stay tuned....
hYlAnDeR~TFC~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users