Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

6600gt Issues.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DrGamut

DrGamut

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:38 PM

Hi guys. I bought an AGP EVGA Geforce 6600GT 128-A8-N350 from newegg a few months ago. After installing it, I was experiencing very sharp graphical glitches (particularly with lighting), frequent slowdowns, and very low performance benchmarks.

I posted about it on the NVIDIA tech forums, and the only responses I got seemed to point to the power supply. I have some generic 450 watt power supply that came with my case a couple years ago, it's probably not great but it's never been a cause of problem before. They say I need a power supply with more amps on the 12v rail, but then other people claiming to be electricians say I don't. Furthermore, when I look at power supplies on the market, /very few/ actually have the amount of amps they tell me I need. How is it that such a massively marketed card could have such a requirement that appears to be so uncommon?

I've spoken to many people with cheaper, older, power supplies than me who are happy with their 6600GT. I am very worried that even if I bought a better power supply and took the time to install it my problems would not be resolved. I have tried underclocking the card and enabling its temperature monitor, which seemed to be normal. I don't believe there are many power hungry devices in my computer.

Is there any more advice you can give me? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:55 PM

All I can think of is to make sure you have the latest drivers (version 84.something now). If you want more PSU info, go here: The Truth about PSU power ratings

I've got the 6800GT, and it runs fine on my 450W PSU which was whatever brand came with my case.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users