Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

12.10 .VS 10.04? Ubuntu...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dethadder

Dethadder

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Any thoughts? I played with it a little bit, but found it to be overly simplistic and bland much like OSX or WIN 8. Took me too much configuration to get it back to the ‘standard’ gnome interface.

What are ya'lls reasons for using?

:bananas:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

i would suggest trying 12.04 it supported for 5 years. and i believe any support for 10.04 has expired.

yes and i dont like unity but think xubuntu rocks. my 2 cents
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#3 Dethadder

Dethadder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

The way I feel about it is it’s allot like using Win XP when Win Vista came out. Until Windows 7 came out using vista was like shooting yourself in the foot.

BTW: I use the new version of BT which is plat formed on ubuntu 10.04, I’m just curious what are peoples reasons for moving forward with the new versions of ubuntu. (I hate Unity, its Windows 8 father)

:flamethrower: UNITY

#4 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

I tried out the latest verion of Gnome on Fedora 16. disgusting, it is like Unity and cinnamon combined. There is no task bar, everythig has to be done from an app launcher, the only way to get an app back that was already opened is to pan all the open windows. GETS VERY annoying and unproductive.

... anyway, the point is that Unity is very reliable now. They seem to have worked out alot of the bugs. So my reasoning is: I need something pretty: old Gnome makes me bittter, It reminds me of Win XP, UNity is stable and pretty, even though there is nothing really interesting about it once you get to know it.

I really like KDE, I wish Ubuntu had a KDE distro. Yet, there are debian distros with KDE environments. Mint is a good one. Just bored with that one.

#5 Dethadder

Dethadder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

Maybe it’s just me, but I like my computer to be task oriented. The only ‘flashy’ look I like my desktop to have is an old school green on black terminal. Dual monitors and as productive as possible… BT5 R3 is all work no play, hell I might as well be in run level 1 the whole time, I rarely get out of the terminal.

:busy:

#6 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Well ,Then you should take Rburk's advice on this one. an XFCE environment is what you need! XUbuntu is a pretty powerful system even though it is pretty small.

If you would like to expore a couple options and decide based on your OS preferences (I am definately a GUI guy, so this might have some suggestions that I have never heard of)
You might find this interesting:
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

I've used 10.04 since...10.04. Support for it will end next April.
I would rather it didn't, but such is "progress".

I have 12.04 installed on another comp and play with it a couple of days a month. I really
don't care much for it. I know it slows down my navigating thru it to do the little that I do.

If I could get Firefox updates after support ends for 10.04, I would not bother with the
latest greatest Ubuntu. 10.04 has worked great. I've never had any annoyance or
a need to reinstall. It just works.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

I have 10.04 installed on a friend's computer. basically because it is not complicated he perfers a simple GUI for email and surfing...

When the support ends what will become of his system? It just won't receive updates. Will it be vulnerable to threats due to lack of patches or what? Should I tell him he has to upgrade?

#9 Dethadder

Dethadder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

I think I will take his advice and play with it a little bit, but like I said I use Backtrack 5 which is based on the Gnome 10.04 environment. Even though I usually stay in run level 1.

Your right progress is lame… take windows 8 for example…. Really? REALLY? Is this the crap we are resorting to now for our computer illiterate users? If you need Icons and flashy little colors to help you get your job done you probably shouldn’t be using a computer. (Another reason I hate UNITY)

#10 kingnick42

kingnick42

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

I like ubuntu 12.10, using it with GNOME3. I know GNOME3 is not to everyones tastes but I like it, particularly with docky added. Sure, it doesn't have support for 5 years, but 2 years is still a while, and you can always upgrade without deleting your docs.

#11 kingnick42

kingnick42

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

I tried it as I'd heard it was stable and well supported. Hated unity, and it kept crashing anyway, so I switched to mint, which I am liking.

As far as desktop environments go, Cinnamon has to be my favourite, closely followed by MATE with Mint Menu. I don't think I'll ever like gnome 3, and wasn't thrilled with unity either.

#12 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

I tried to install 12.04 when it first came out and it was a disaster. What I had to do to install it in the end was to go into my BIOS and disable all my USB ports. After I thought all would be well I discovered upon the first reboot that the GRUB was screwed up and would not support the resolution on my monitor. :smash: . So I tried some other distros. Fedora would crash every few minutes so I ditched that. Linux Mint installed okay, but I found it rather boring, and I like to play with my Project 64 emulator via WINE but and that didn't work so well.

But last week I gave it another shot and tried 12.10. The whole process went flawlessly. This distro fits my computer like a glove, Proj 64 works as well as it did on Windows, Grub boots up without a hitch. The only problem was whenever I tried to use Dash Home in the graphics would be all messed up. Since I didn't like Unity anyways I switched to Gnome classic and everything is wonderful.

Edited by Bezukhov, 20 December 2012 - 09:08 AM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users