Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Check Paper Error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Elle44

Elle44

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

My HP PSC 1315 has a Check Paper Error after no problems in 8 years. Originally it was a Check Print Cartridget error, I used the tape trick to reset the ink levels. That's when I got the Check Paper error. After that I bought new black and color ink. I've unstalled and reinstalled the latest driver twice, cleans the print rollers, and reset the printer several times, but no change. In addition, my HP Solution Center won't open. It says "No HP Devices have been detected. HP Solutution Center will close now. I attempted a uninstall/reinstall after this as well. I installed the HP Print and Scan Doctor, and ran HP Scan fix and found not errors on the "Fix Printing" side. But on the "Fix Scanning" side, I found 3 errors. A solution center error was fixed by downloading a Scanjet Vista Table Patch, but 2 other errors remained - something wrong with the Registry and HP components missing. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

8 years service sounds quite good to me. If something has failed internally, it's likely to be costly to repair.

I'm not big on updating drivers. Did you recently update? It probably ran for years on the original driver. I would uninstall the driver in Device Manager, disconnect the printer and uninstall software with something like Revo Uninstaller to get rid of all entries. Reinstall everything per the original disks that came with the printer. If it's back working, then you can choose to update things and see what happens.

If there are various settings and upgrades that you do not want to disturb, wait and see if other forum members have ideas.

Edit: I noted later that you mentioned a Vista patch. That would mean the printer would have been first installed pre-Vista if Vista is your current OS. The old driver may not work in Vista. If you recently updated the driver, you could try reverting to the previous version in Device Manager.

Edit2: If the error being referred to is related to lights on the printer as opposed to a warning in Windows, the fault is almost certainly in the printer. That type of alarm would be a combination of where the printer is in the print cycle per the firmware and sensors detecting paper present or not. The registry and component issues may be separate.

Edited by Nanobyte, 16 November 2012 - 01:49 AM.

#3 Huwo

Huwo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

^More or less what I came to say.

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Looks like we have a bunch of nuisance bots today.

#5 Elle44

Elle44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

I updated to the latest driver in an attempt to fix the Check Paper error. But then that created the HP Solution Center error. I unstalled and reinstalled 3 times yesterday, once removing registry lines manually, another time using the Revo Uninstaller you recommended. No luck.

#6 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

My last comment Edit2 questioned where the fault was being indicated. You did not comment on that. If it's lights on the printer you most likely have a faulty printer, not related to the PC. If the hardware is busted, no drivers are going make any difference. As I said, it may be that the software issues don't affect operation or perhaps limit it. I had an HP printer for less than a year at which time part of a gear wheel fell out and it was toast. At $75 for a new printer and probably $60 just to get it over the repair counter and time for repair, it was a no-brainer.

What is your current OS?

Not being an HP tech I have no idea what parameters cause the error. Given the description I would suspect a faulty switch or sensor that is showing paper present or absent at the wrong time. It could be a spring-loaded mechanical switch, a photocell or other. It may be located off the areas you would normally clean since you don't want ink getting on sensors.

If you want to pursue the software side, there are quite a few how-to's around. This thread finishes off with someone purporting to be an HP employee (sauce or computer?). Another thread seems to have some satisfied customers. Any registry edits carry some risk. A fairly common view is not to install the full software package, only what you really need.

#7 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

Hopefully some of the threads I linked to may have been successful, in which case ignore the questions below. I still don't haven't got much feedback. I've mentioned a few things several times and got no reaction so:

1. Does the printer work locally from its front panel when disconnected from the PC - either copying documents or printing photos?
2. When working locally when disconnected from the PC, are there any error lights on the printer?

3. What OS was installed on the PC when the HP software was originally installed?
4. What is the current OS of the PC?
5. If the OS changed, did you update the driver at that point, and did you keep a copy of the update?
6. If the OS changed, did you have to update the HP software, and did you keep a copy of that update?
7. Have you updated the firmware of the printer at any time?
8. When the "Check Paper Error" occurs, is it indicated by the "Check Paper" light on the printer, a warning dialog in Windows, both the previous, or some other indication (state what)?
9. Have you tried uninstalling the HP software with any available HP uninstall program (not the regular uninstall in Add/Remove programs)?
10. If the OS is still the same as the original (XP?) have you tried the original disk install including the old drivers (not the latest drivers)?

Edited by Nanobyte, 17 November 2012 - 01:17 AM.

#8 Elle44

Elle44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

It's the light on the printer that shows check paper. I had an XP when I got the printer, and now I have vista on a newer computer. since the setup wasn't compatible with vista, I threw it away and downloaded the latest driver at that time, 5 years ago. I have tried several different methods of uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. I already tried the solutions in the two links you provided previously.

Edited by Elle44, 18 November 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#9 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for the update. You did not answer the most important questions, 1 & 2. If the problem exists standalone, the PC connection is highly unlikely to correct it. Contrary to popular opinion, the latest drivers are not repair tools!

If standalone operation is fine, then:
Qu 5, do you have a copy of the first driver you installed on Vista?
Qu 6, the old software is not compatible with Vista so I assume unless otherwise stated that you have new software for Vista.
Qu 7, unless otherwise stated that you have not updated firmware.
I would try uninstalling with an HP removal utility and then reinstall using the first drivers used for Vista. That may not be an option if you don't have copies.

You have seen for yourself while browsing how many tricks have been tried, with mixed results. I can't see how someone in the forum is going to come up with an amazing fix-every-issue solution. A new printer for around $150 looms!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users