Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer boots but powers of after 2 minutes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vigge_sWe

vigge_sWe

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hey! This time it isn't me who needs help but it's my friend.

His computer stopped working 2 weeks ago or so. What he told me is that it boots, is on for about 1 - 2 minutes then shutdowns. I initially thought it might be a overheating issue and told him to check the fans and clean it a bit, but all the fans were working and the issue continued, with an added issue: He no longer got a picture when booting.

He thought it was his GPU and PSU that were broken and I kind of agreed the GPU part is possible. I told him to try and get a hold of a GPU and PSU before buying but he didn't manage to find parts to borrow and bought a new PSU and a GPU. Yet, the problem is still there with the new parts...

After this I told him to remove all parts except the motherboard, PSU and CPU and try to boot (this sadly didn't hit me before he bought new stuff). It powers on, but still shuts down after about 2 minutes.

Also noting, when he cleaned the computer he removed the CPU fan and put it back without adding new paste, could that be causing the CPU to overheat on boot and shut down? The old paste is still there...

At this point it seems like it is the CPU or motherboard that is the source of the issue, but we do not know if it's something that can be fixed without buying new one.

His parts now after the purchase are:
Corsair ax750 PSU
Asus p7p550 pro motherboard
Gigabyte geforce gtx 670 2gb GPU
Intel i5 ~3.5GHz (I do not know the exact model)
3x kingston 2GB ddr3 RAM
A samsung 1tb hdd
generic dvd drive

Edited by vigge_sWe, 15 November 2012 - 12:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

Not cleaning the old Heat Sink compound off and using new compound could indeed be the cause of the problem. I use Isopropyl Alcohol 90% Plus to clean off the old compound from the heat sink and CPU.

Using too much compound during the install can also cause problems.
This may or may not be the problem but it does need to be fixed as a first step.

I suggest using Arctic Silver compound. It does take a break in period for maximum cooling.
Instructions for Arctic Silver Products

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 vigge_sWe

vigge_sWe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Not cleaning the old Heat Sink compound off and using new compound could indeed be the cause of the problem. I use Isopropyl Alcohol 90% Plus to clean off the old compound from the heat sink and CPU.

Using too much compound during the install can also cause problems.
This may or may not be the problem but it does need to be fixed as a first step.

I suggest using Arctic Silver compound. It does take a break in period for maximum cooling.
Instructions for Arctic Silver Products

Good Luck
Roger

Thanks, I'll let him know this and try this and I will tell if it fixes it or not.

Edit: He tried to boot without a CPU now but that only made it cycle power every 10 seconds or so, if that says anything

Edited by vigge_sWe, 15 November 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

No CPU = No Video, no p.o.s.t. anything can happen.

In other words to me it says nothing since with no CPU................

You might drop a gentle word in his ears to stop tinkering around as this problem needs a methodical one fix at a time approach.

Just throwing money & parts at it may end up fixing it. For example if you replace every part it'll work but at what cost.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users