Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apps for Windows 8 not working

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KidWrangler

KidWrangler

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

My mother paid for a download copy of Win 8 from Microsoft, I believe they have a special going on. Anyway, Apps aren't opening such as Mail, Store and a few others. I read somewhere where in some cases uninstalling it and reinstalling should fix the issue. I tried deleting Mail and it's in a group of 4 Apps so the others were deleted as well. Fair enough, I tried to reinstall it through Store App and Store obviously won't open. I'm not sure wha I could do now. The reason why the Apps aren't responding I heard could be 5 different things and I can't pinpoint what and how to fix. Can anyone help? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

Does it give an error or nothing happens?

Apps have an issue with resolution and if your resolution is not large enough, they wont run. They will, though, give an error when that happens.

#3 KidWrangler

KidWrangler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

resolution fine....no message although when I changed the Acount Access level, an error message came up saying program cannot open and it wanted me to security and "read" something or change owner to make programs work. I got lost there so I changed the Access level to default and back to same issue.

#4 KidWrangler

KidWrangler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

it just computes with that circle and goes nowhere.

#5 KidWrangler

KidWrangler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Sorry it was User Account Control where I could change the settings and an error would pop up.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Before we do anything, you should make sure User Account Control is set to the defaults or it puts your computer at risk. Go back to in the User Account Control settings and make sure you are set to the second selection from the top. It should look like this:

Attached File  uac.png   66.7KB   4 downloads

Now for your apps, are you using an antivirus program? If so, disable it temporarily and trying opening an app.

#7 KidWrangler

KidWrangler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

Yes I did that. Also read that deleting AV program and reinstalling Win 8 works. Something to do with firewall? Anyway what I did was delete Macafee and restarting Install and so far the install is going through things it wouldn't the second time installing it. Giving me options to keep files, telling me it will restart several times. Things it didn't do yesterday. So maybe that might be the fix? What were you suggesting I do after defaulting UAC?

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

Here are some steps to try:

1. If you are using a Microsoft Account, switch to a local account and see if it works then. If you create a new account, do the windows apps work?

2. Update display drivers

3. Disable Windows Firewall temporarily and see if that helps.

4. Make sure you are using a screen resolution of at least 1024x768.

5. If you used a 3rd party tool to change your lock screen/start screen colors rather than using the settings in Windows 8, see if you can restore the defaults back.

Let me know if any of these help.

#9 KidWrangler

KidWrangler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Ok, Reinstalling it now, let you know if those ideas work. Thank alot.

#10 KidWrangler

KidWrangler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

Solution was to completely delete our 3rd party Virus Protection and reinstall Windows 8. Problem fixed.

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

Have you reinstalled your antivirus software? If so, is it working properly now?

#12 vkrnt

vkrnt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:27 AM

i am running window 8 pro activated by kms activater....but two days before its apps suddenly stops working when i was updating some of the apps saying " cant load the page". please help me with this problem. thnks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users