Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

all settings wiped upon start up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 markbrut

markbrut

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

Hello, I use XP and have used Malware Bytes as my main virus scan software for some time. Aside from some minimal virus issues have been fine.

Last night before I shut down the Malware Bytes updated automatically, which it usually doesn't do...it usually would do it at start up. I shut the computer down not thinking anything. This morning I started up and my entire desktop, settings, My Documents and start menu are all wiped out, and I cannot access "Accessories" to try a system restore. All of the desktop and My Documents files are still in tact on the hard drive, and backed up elsewhere, but I cannot see the files on the Desktop or My Documents folder.

Also when starting up a Windows Security window popped up, which it never does.

I was trying to find out why this would just wipe all of my settings and came across some forum posts about the Smart HDD virus...symptoms are very similar to what I have here.

Any suggestions on this would be much appreciated, thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kevin.holmes

kevin.holmes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Your user profile may be corrupt. Check the c drive - docs and settings and see if there is a folder with your user name on it that has a .TEMP at the end of it.

#3 markbrut

markbrut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

thanks for the fast reply...yes there is...what should I do with it and how would it have gotten there?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

I cannot access "Accessories" to try a system restore.

If you still want to try system restore:

Can you get to task manager?

If the bottom taskbar shows right click on it, choose Task Manager

Application tab/New Task

Enter this command, then click OK

rstrui.exe

If you cannot access task manager from the taskbar 2 other options are

1.Ctrl + Alt + Del > Click Task Manager. This is the most commonly used method.

3.Ctrl + Shift + Esc.

You can also do system restore from another user account if there is one set up.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 November 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#5 markbrut

markbrut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

Would you recommend a system restore or creating a new profile? It definitely appears to be a corrupt profile from what I am reading.

#6 markbrut

markbrut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

I can get to the task manager that way, yes...should I do a restore or create a new user profile?

#7 markbrut

markbrut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

actually just tried to run the System Restore by using rstrui.exe and it will not allow me to do so...

#8 kevin.holmes

kevin.holmes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

A system restore will not work. You will need to create a new user profile. You can then go into your old user profile folder and copy all documents out of that folder and put them in your new profile. When windows creates a profile folder with a .temp at the end, it means your main profile has gotten corrupted, and you will need to create a new one.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Nov 2012 Issues resolved by OP, as evidenced by subsequent posts regarding different issues.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 February 2013 - 10:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users