Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs randomly appearing on screen and cuts off some portion of the browser

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hikikomori

Hikikomori

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

I'm not sure where to put this but I'm assuming this is a hardware problem so I made this thread in this section. If this is the wrong section then mods please move it to the right one. Now on to the problem, I'm on vacation in my hometown and using my mom's desktop PC and I noticed that there are times when I'm browsing the web (regardless whether I use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox), the program running in the background appears on some portions of the screen. It is kinda hard to describe it so I'm just going to show the screenshot.

Posted Image

As you can see, the utorrent suddenly appeared on the lower part of the screen. I've been using the PC for 3 days and it happens sporadically, but my mom bought this computer last year and she said she started experiencing this a month after she bought the computer. She didn't take it as a serious problem since it doesn't happen often, but it bothers me since I'm used to using a smooth-running high-end PC back home, and I told her she should have told the problem anyway while it was under 1 year warranty. <_< Aside from that the overall speed of the PC is sluggish at times, especially when watching videos (including video streaming such as Youtube) where the frame kinda freezes for a few seconds. And no, it's not the internet connection because like I said it happens even when I'm watching some already downloaded videos. Strangely though, I can play some games just fine. I've been playing Maplestory here with no problem at all lol.

Here are some things I tried. I checked the video card driver version to see if it is updated and it seems the cd driver that came along with the video card matches the one on Nvidia's website. So I uninstalled the driver and removed the video card thinking that it could be defective and used the integrated video card of the motherboard and installed its driver using the cd that came along with the motherboard. Same problem when watching videos and after 40 mins of internet browsing, the screen problem occurred. I guess it is safe to assume the video card is functioning properly. And yesterday I took a drastic move of reformatting the computer but the problem still persists. Now I can only think that the problem could be with the processor or memory, but I don't know how to test these so I need help on this matter.

This is the spec of the computer.

Motherboard: Biostar N68S3+
Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0Ghz
Memory: Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5 192bit
PSU: Generic 600watts
DirectX version: DirectX 9.0C
Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit
2 fans (1 blowing in and the other 1 is an exhaust) and a standard casing (not the flashy gaming type).

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. And sorry of the tldr post. :lol:

Edited by Hikikomori, 15 November 2012 - 10:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaoJedi

CaoJedi

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

I suspect you have a malware problem. Read this go from there.

J

#3 Hikikomori

Hikikomori
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the help. Maybe you're right, but as I mentioned I reformatted the computer the other day so the computer should be clean with all files and programs erased and yet the problem is still happening. Just a few minutes after performing a clean reformat, I was browsing the web using Internet Explorer to download Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox while I have Windows Media Player running and the broken screen similar to the screenshot happened. Anyway since there are only very few programs installed at the moment I guess it will only take a few minutes to perform a malware scan using Malwarebytes so I'm going to do as you suggested.

Edited by Hikikomori, 15 November 2012 - 07:52 PM.

#4 Hikikomori

Hikikomori
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Bump. Still looking for help here.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

Uninstall Uttorent and HyperCam from your Add or Remove Programs.

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program. To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#6 Hikikomori

Hikikomori
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

I already posted the specs of the computer in my first post but anyways here it is http://speccy.piriform.com/results/itbarT5Sc4yZfDTh5kdA2yN

I guess I should have mentioned that it happens with ANY program that is running in the background, not just utorrent or hypercam. I can be playing music using vlc player or have Microsoft Office running and these programs will also appear on some portion of the screen while browsing the web, so I know it's not a problem with any of these programs because like I said, I also performed a clean reformat (you know, deleting partition, creating a new one and all that stuff) and it is still doing the same thing. And yes, I had to re-download and re-install all these programs because everything was wiped out due to the clean reformat.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

If the programs are uninstalled, then they would not interfere but actually they should not run unless you've used task scheduler.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users