Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee Site Adviser , Ebates pop-up how to block?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

Today on my laptop , XP -SP3, I started getting a pop-up saying that McAfee site adviser had "teamed up" with Ebates. Gives an option of OK, nothing more.
Pretty sure this is not malware as a Google search finds the same thing mentioned over the last few days.
Other then getting rid of site adviser is there any way to kill this pop-up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

McAfee has teamed up with EBATES to offer you cash back for safely shopping online!

McAfee is piloting a new feature called Safe Shopping Rewards* - a way for you to actually earn cash back from Ebates when you shop on select McAfee SECURE sites.

How it works...

McAfee - EBATES FAQs

Ebates gives you Cash Back when you shop online with participating merchants. Need more information? Go to the Ebates site for a full explanation.

From what I have read, many users are complaining about the same thing. It does not sound like a good consumer oriented move but apparently McAfee thinks the partnership is a good business move. The best why to send them a message about this is to remove McAfee and inform others.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Even though it is not a solution for now I just drag the pop-up down below the tool bar so it's out of sight. Hopefully McAfee will stop this foolishness soon.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

I do not have first hand knowledge since I do not use McAfee...but from what I read, it does not appear to be a traditional toolbar, rather an integrated feature which works in a similar manner. If it were just a toolbar, in many cases they can be removed removed via Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7. Others can be disabled in Manage Add-ons.

There are alternatives like WOT (Web of Trust) - WOT for Firefox.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

Hi -
I was about to add WOT (and links) but they are there now for you -
Lately I would not search web pages without it being installed - There are dozens of pages that look good, but are not OK these days.

Any Google (or similar) search will show the many sites that are now reported as Unsuitable or just Dangerous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users