Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU Temperatures

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dastreus

Dastreus

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:12 AM

I have an Asus G71Gx with an Nvidia Geforce GRX 260M refurbished from 2010. Recently, when I started noticing some choppy behavior in gaming, I began temperature monitoring. My average idle at the time, three or four weeks ago, was 61c, and gaming rarely exceeded 71-75c. It once went above 77c, after hours of graphically intense things, but I rarely do such.

However, as early as Monday this week, I noticed a startling change. My gaming temperature after no more than an hour in game was 97c and my new idle temperature is 69-74c. When gaming, it never seems to go below 84, and even spikes to 105c at times.

Today, I got the bright idea to get to my GPU (and while at it the CPU) to redo their thermal paste. Easier said than done, as the case designer thought it was a grand idea to put part of the graphics card under part of the case, meaning I had to completely disassemble the laptop. The bridge heat sync, however, I could NOT remove for the life of me. The second screw was so stuck I wound up just making metal shavings out of the screw head, so I gave up on that.

However, I did manage to replace the thermal paste on my CPU and GPU on the underside of my VRAM on my graphics card. Am I correct in assuming the chip (looked like a CPU, even) on the underside of the VRAM, on the video card is the GPU? Whatever the chip was on the underside (again, assuming it's the GPU) I also managed to clean off the old thermal paste and put on new. The old was still pretty goopy, but did seem aged.

My CPU wasn't running too hot, 66/65 (dual core) at worse, and now they're happily purring at 44/43 - 57/56 max. Things even react smoother. However, despite my CPU being better, my GPU just refuses to lower it's temperature. I bought a new cooler for under my laptop a couple weeks back when I was originally concerned about the heat, and often try different positions of the laptop.

I'm out of ideas. Maybe a faulty sensor? Maybe my GPU is going bad? Maybe I need to find a way to remove that broken screw on the northbridge heat sync? Any help is vastly appreciated.

Additionally, I have blown out the laptop multiple times and when disassembled, I took extra time to take an air can to every part. Only a few places like where the monitor connects to the laptop and under the motherboard was there some dust. The heat syncs are clear.

Edited by Dastreus, 15 November 2012 - 05:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

Post a snapshot with Speccy as this may give us a bit more to look at -
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy <<Follow These Directions

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:28 AM

Have you tried clean out the dust that might be trapped in the GPU heatsink?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Dastreus

Dastreus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for reminding me about dust, killerx. I updated my original post to respond that yes, I generally try to keep dust out.

Here is Speccy's info.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/r0prXvrDLY7aunoxz44AOST

Edited by Dastreus, 15 November 2012 - 06:32 AM.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

Have you tried placing a copper shin between the gpu and heatsink? It usually creates better contact and more heat transfer. Also by any chance you can take some photos of the fans/heatsink off?

Edited by killerx525, 15 November 2012 - 08:43 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-260m << Check drivers

Asus G71GX Disassembly tutorial to remove graphics card Part 1
Part 2: Asus G71GX Disassembly tutorial to remove graphics card
Part 3: Asus G71GX Disassembly tutorial to remove graphics card
Part 4: Asus G71GX Disassembly tutorial to remove graphics card

Pinout.net - Disassemble Database Asus G71GX remove graphics card

Some Youtube Vids to help you with removal and inspection -

#7 Dastreus

Dastreus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Those are the exact videos I watched on an iPad while disassembling my laptop to get to the GPU. The only thing I didn't manage to remove was the northbridge heatsync as the screw must've melted into it or something. It wouldn't budge. But like I said, thermal past on the video card's GPU and my CPU were replaced. I DID however just learn thanks to the provided links that my driver is indeed out of date. This out of date driver surprises me, though. Thought I had updated only recently through SlimDrivers.

On the subject of getting images, I have a poor quality camera on my 2007 phone, so I doubt it'll be of much use. I'll look into posting pictures by the time I update my status after this driver update. Perhaps even pictures of the open laptop model from google, if my phone fails to get anything good.

Edited by Dastreus, 15 November 2012 - 05:18 PM.

#8 Dastreus

Dastreus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

Still no pics yet, but the video card's idle temp is 59-62 now after the driver. Though, I do have a weird issue with screen blackness that I can 'clear away' sorta speak with an open window. Gaming temperatures are still going above 90, however, when playing 3D games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users