Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Controller on motherboard Dell Studio 1737: Second opinion?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

Hello All!

The Problem PC: Dell Studio 1737 running Win 7 Enterprise Ed (64bit)

Just looking for a second opinion on a Client's PC.

Basically: It won't connect to the internet. I open the device manager and see that (almost) every device driver on the machine has a ! symbol. I try to update the drivers/ roll back, It tells me I already have thebest driver available.

Next test: I boot from an Ubuntu disk(64bit) and it freezes on the Ubuntu flash screen right after establishing network... (I already flipped the hardware switch a couple times: so you can rule that out)

I toss the disk thinking that it is a bad distro or the media is damaged.
Try Mint 12(64bit): same result
Mint 11(32bit): same
Download a fresh copy of Ubuntu(64bit), install it on a seperate machine: works!
So I take the same disk I had success with and boot the problem machine from it: freeze!

Assuming that no one opened this machine and tinkered with things and didn't put them back together right, wouldn't you assume that the hardware controller is fried?

Any input is appreciated! thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Have you tried to pull the BIOS battery and reset the BIOS??? If you do make sure to set the BIOS to the default settings for the first boot.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

Let me clarify: It boots from the disk, Loads the Kernel... and the desktop for the Live envirnoment starts to load, but as soon as the distro starts to identify the hardware so it can come up with the generic drivers for wifi, audio... ect, it freezes. a Linux desk top with nothing on it. no unity, or task bars, mouse freezes.

Right before I tried to boot from these disks though I did clear the Bios and return it to default. (this was because there was a password on it and I had to clear it)

I will still pull the battery though if you think it will help, I just wanted to clarify that it is booting, just the distro wont determine any hardawre present.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

I always go for the simple fix first. You could be right in your assumption regarding the controller. However it maybe something else within the system causing issues as well. My last ditch effort before proclaiming a system dead is to strip it down to the minimum needed to boot. If it still doesn't then it must be onre of the few items left and in your case most probably the motherboard controller.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

Sorry BaltBoy, I never saw this response. I totally see where you are coming from though.

Funny enough though, the client came to finally get the machine last night, I loaded the Ubuntu Live Environment (as I had done several times before) to show her that the hardware was not working. no audio, video, wifi, blah, blah blah.... and WHAT"S THIS????!!!!!

Everything loads up BEAUTIFULLY! I told her I am glad that the PC is fine but I am a little mad that I spend 3 days on this problem a few weeks before. She let me keep the computer to see if I could fix it still...

...after she left I couldn't get over this. I spent over 5 hours running hardware detectors, boot discs, live environments and finally installed a fresh copy of Windows and installed all of the drivers. It is a nice machine actually. no problems! I haven't given it back yet because I am waiting for things to go wrong.

..Ever had a problem like this?

Come to think of it actually, I feel like I had to set the clock a couple times... I wonder if there was a problem in CMOS but the battery died and reset over the couple weeks it sat off. I flashed the BIOS just to be sure.. gonna have to check to see if that time changed again (although I did run a few Linux Partitions just to experiment first, could be confused about what system I set the time to)

Thanks!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

Replace the CMOS/RTC battery, if you can. A failing battery can cause the symptoms you have thus far described.

Louis

#7 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

Okay, thanks! I will do that! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users