Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Windows XP Home Edition Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AlwaysANewbie

AlwaysANewbie

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Started Up In Safe Mode....Now What?
Restarted my System and Windows XP Home Service Pack 3 would not start. The Splash Screen appears and then I see the apology message ...Sorry for the inconvenience...yadda yadda ... and options to try various alternatives. I tried restoring to various dates but gave up after 3 tries. The System Restore was successful each time but the attempt at a restart ended the exact same way, with the apology message. So I restarted in Safe Mode but now what do I do? I looked around in Device Manager and in Event Viewer but see nothing out of the ordinary. I have no audio, no internet, and no printer functionality in Safe Mode which I guess is normal but I also do not have my AVP (avast!free 7.0) showing in the Tray. Shouldn't I be able to run a Virus System Scan while running in Safe Mode?
What should I be looking for while I am in Safe Mode to identify what is preventing Windows XP from starting up? Thank you.
(Obviously I am posting this from another computer!)
My System had been operating without a problem prior to this restart issue with no beeps or blue screens or freeze ups. My Windows XP is up to date, so is my MSIE, and so is my AVP. I have not installed any new programs and I do not play internet games. Curiously, I have not been able to successfully uninstall several programs while in Safe Mode. Is this normal?
Here are my specs: Dell Optiplex GX280, model DHS with the original Pentium Processor, motherboard, and memory stuff all original to the box and they have never been disturbed. Windows XP Home Edition came pre-installed on the PC so I do not have an Installation CD. I have installed all updates from Microsoft. I run the avast!free 7.0 AVP and it scans my system regularly. It has detected malware recently and notified me about several Malicious URL's that it had protected me from! I connect using a Motorola Cable Modem and the Time Warner Road Runner System which seems to be working just fine as I prepare and send this help message to the Forum. My browser is MSIE. I have disconnected my HP Photosmart C4450 printer while in Safe Mode just in case this could have been involved in this issue, but this has made no difference and apparently you cannot use the printer while in Safe Mode anyway! Again, many thanks for any advice with this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

... and options to try various alternatives....

Such as? The easiest to try is "Last Known Good Configuration" if that was one of them. It will try with the config that was saved at the last successful boot. If Avast will not run from the Programs menu, run at boot time. Being notified that harmful URLs had been detected does not mean you are necessarily infected.

#3 AlwaysANewbie

AlwaysANewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

To Nanobyte- the Sorry For The Inconvenience Message includes options to try to get Windows XP Home Edition to start up. I have tried each of them, the first option being the Last Known Good Configuration option, and then including the use of 3 Restore Points which were successfully restored but this did not help restart Windows XP, it just restarted to the Splash Screen, halted, and again showed me the apology message.
Thanks for the link to the article on the avast! Support Forum about scheduling a boot-time scan when running in Safe Mode.
Any thoughts about how to diagnose my problem from Safe Mode?
I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my post.

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

It sounds like there is no recent system or installation changes that you are aware of.

There is a BC guide for XP boot fixes. The one that most closely fits your situation, you have done the recommended actions other than reinstalling the video drivers.
Not having an installation CD of any kind could be a problem if there are serious issues.

You should start by checking the HDD with a utility (your fave or one from the manufacturer). Then chkdsk /f /r which could take a while.
You could run a clean boot to disable unnecessary services. The XP guide has a lot of complicated things you can do. Initially you should keep it simple. A better Windows 7 guide is not exactly what you will see but it shows the basic test (Selective Startup, only running Windows services) and it comes with pictures! This is quite a quick test.

#5 AlwaysANewbie

AlwaysANewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:11 AM

Nanobyte- Thanks again for your response.
Anybody else have any experience using Windows Safe Mode to help diagnose a Start Up Problem?
Many thanks if you did and will share your experience with me....good or bad!

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:14 AM

Please do the following:

Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.

Posted Image
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Posted Image
  • Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 AlwaysANewbie

AlwaysANewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Please do the following:

Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....

• Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.

Posted Image
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Posted Image
  • Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.

To AustrAlien- OK! Thank you! Give me a day to hook my PC back up and get this info back to you. I am now communicating from a laptop PC and I am on the road and away from my home office until tomorrow (Saturday). Appreciate your offer to help!

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

:thumbup2:
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

Must be a very long ROAD :tophat:

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic