Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsure about changing graphics card

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Madforit

Madforit

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

I have currently got 2 x HD 5450 in different computers, the main one I use is what i assume to be a 512mb version although when i check in dxdiag it says it has 1793mb and in AMD control centre in states that it has got 1791mb.

In my other computer no matter what i check with it states that it has got a 1gb memory.

I am thinking of swapping cards and was wondering whether the extra 512mb would make much difference and would be greatful if someone could explain to me what extra performance I could expect from having this extra memory.

I am guessing that the odd memory readouts are probably showing the card memory with shared memory added on,,although it would be nice if someone could explain this to me as well,,I only find it odd as my other computer doesn't seem to use shared memory and I haven't changed anything that I know of to tell this one to use shared memory either.

Thanks in advance

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

I would need the exact card specifications and computer specifications to give you a answer to why its reading funny. As to noticing a performance increase, depends on what you use it for-if its just for movie watching and surfing the web, probably wont notice any difference, if your into graphics design or gaming, you may.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users