Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Page Can Not Be Displayed

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 luvbug

luvbug

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:52 PM

I got my Dell computer in December of 05....it came with XP.

Up until about 2 days ago, I could get on every site...but now there is 1 site I cannot get on...I constantly get The Page Can Not Be Displayed.

And on top of that.....I am getting that message when I go from page to page, or even when I hit the back button on other sites.

Does anyone have any suggestions???

I have ran maintance, virus scan, spyware.....nothing.

I dont know what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:30 PM

Hi luvbug!

Can you tell me the name of the site you are trying to access - it may be a secure site. What operating system are you running, and what version of internet explorer? You may have accidently added this site to your block list.

David

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

Have you done all of the Critical Updates for XP as well as for Internet Explorer?

#4 luvbug

luvbug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:40 AM

Yes I have done all updates......I have Windows XP...its a new computer. I could get on the site up until about 2 or 3 days ago....I havent added anything......I even tried with Firefox and cant get.

I dont know what to do. I dont know anything about computers, so please be explicit in your "what to do" answers....I need step by step instructions....Im a computer dummy. lol

Thank you for helping me.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:21 PM

Did this start happening right after you downloaded an update - either an antivirus update or a Windows update?

Which anti-virus program are you using?

Are you using Internet Explorer or a different browser?

Edited by Enthusiast, 23 March 2006 - 12:22 PM.

#6 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:00 PM

Try two options, one at a time and test each afterwards. Tools> Internet Options > General Tab. Click on 'Delete cookies', 'delete files'. On the 'Programs' tab, click on 'manage Add-ons'. Disable add-ons, known as Browsers Helper Objects, ONE AT A TIME, testing in between. Restore those that don't affect your performance.

#7 luvbug

luvbug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:06 AM

OK....UPDATE

All it was was my ActiveX somehow got deleted or something. I had to put it back on and now I can get on my site.

BUT..........I still CONSTANTLY get The Page Can Not Be Displayed when I try to go to a different page, or hit the back button ............

AND...........I constantly get booted off of Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger.........it does the same on Trillian.....doesnt matter which browser I use......IE or Firefox.

A friend said it was because of my internet provider......could that be right????

And I have a question.............should I download EVERY update Microsoft lists??? A friend said he doesnt.
I just want to keep my computer running smoothly with no problems. lol

Thank you all so much for you help.

Edited by luvbug, 25 March 2006 - 09:09 AM.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:56 AM

You should download Critical Updates - all of them, in fact, you should set your computer to download and install them automatically, and select every other update that applies to the software on your computer.

Critical updates contain patches for exploits which are used by malware - not only to infect your computer, but to steal information which is stored on the average computer - banking and stock records, personal information, etc.

Your friend, if he chooses not to download and install Critical Updates is not only an idiot who places his own computer at risk of various kinds of malware infection, but also virtually all other computers on the internet.

I would insist he took me out of his address book if I knew him, wouldn't IM with him or accept any files from him if I did, and I would never open any attachment sent from his computer.

SP2 In Particular:
By not downloading SP2, someone is as irresponsible as a reckless driver speeding through heavy traffic on icy roads with bald tires.

SP2 is primarily a security upgrade, installing patches for known exploits designed to tighten the security on your computer so that miserable, criminal miscreants writing malicious code will have a tougher time infecting your computer, turning your computer into a zombie, stealing information from it (Like your ID and banking records), using it to infect other computers you send email to, or using it for denial of service and other criminal activities.

IT IS A CRITICAL UPDATE!
Microsoft assigns the term "critical update" to security bulletins when it believes an exploit of the vulnerability could be used to create a worm able to spread without any user interaction. - Microsoft Knowledgebase.

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 March 2006 - 10:04 AM.

#9 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:16 AM

LuvBug,

I put my hand up there and admit to reckless stupidity. I had read from a trusted source that using a "manual" appraoch to scanning would speed up the system immensley so, all google eyed, I disabled all background scanning on AVG and Spybot, etc until my comp was razor sharp..then only 2 days later I got a virus!

I removed it ok and have turned on all background scanning and have not had a problem..yes..windows is a little slower but not much. For a razor sharp system, that razor sure goes blunt pretty quick once the bad guys scan and use ports to exploit security vulnerabilities.

Sygate constantly reports port scans so there are people out there browsing for witless users like me..:-)..Seriously though, a user who doesn't protect themselves by using SP2 and the humongous array of protective software that is free (no excuses there then) is much the same as a drunk driver..they may get away with it for a while but law of averages dictates misery ahead. It isn't just you you are harming like Enthusiast mentioned. The internet is a mammoth network of computers worldwide. Viruses and worms spread across this network by replicating themselves and sending themselves to other computers. By not actively protecting his computer, your friend is actually helping the spread of infectious files. Just because a "friend" sends you an email with hilarious attachment, doesn't mean you should disregard security measures. Your friend may not know anything about the email because it may have delivered itself to you without his knowing. And more likely than not, you will find out about the virus when you try to log back in,or reboot.

I find that trashing any emails with more than one forward in the subject (ie. FWD: FWD: FWD:) and being pretty cautious about emails with even one fwd in the subject box has helped make my system safer.

I openly admit to being reckless and have found that disabling background scanning is much like finishing a bottle of jack daniels and a packet of ibuprofen simultaneously while driving a long road trip.

I hope you solve your problem, these guys are the best so I am sure you will.

Darren De Wilde

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:24 PM

In addition, enable your anti-virus ap to scan both incoming and outgoing emails, and enable the "Teatimer" utility in Spybot (and if you haven't updated its malware definition file and "Immunized" your computer with it do so immediately!)

In addition to Spybot, get Windows Defender which will also give you realtime protection.

Microsoft Windows Defender
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx
This also provides realtime protection. (absolutely necessary)

Also, if you haven't gotten a two way firewall do so as well. The Windows XP firewall only protects you against incoming threats and does nothing about outgoing Trojans, Phonehomes, autodialers, etc, which will send out personal information like your bank records, passwords, etc or make 900 phone calls which you will be legally obligated to pay.

Software firewalls with freeware versions
(Run only one and disable the ineffective Windows XP firewall)

Zone Alarm:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/cata...g=en&lid=nav_za

or
http://www.download.com/ZoneAlarm/3000-10435_4-10039884.html

or
Sygate: http://www.sygate.com/
(you can have only one software firewall running. More than one will conflict)

Download one of these (or if you wish you can get a commercial version and pay for it although both the above are perfectly adaquate), install it, set it up and then disable your XP firewall, as using more than one software firewall on a computer will conflict.

How do you connect to the internet? Cable, DSL, dialup?

The problem might be your ISP but it is more likely that the problem may reside on your computer. Since you are experiencing the same problem with both Firefox it is not likely IE's security settings.

If you are on broadband, try rebooting the cable/dsl modem with the computer shut down and then rebooting the computer. (If you are behind a router reboot that as well.)

Try running the following web based scans using Internet Explorer:
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Web Scanner
http://www.kaspersky.com/service?chapter=161739400#betatest

Panda Activescan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/co...n_principal.htm

Trend Micro antivirus and malware scan:
http://housecall-beta.trendmicro.com/en/st...orp.asp?id=scan

Etrust Anti-virus web scanner
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx.

online trojan scans here –
Sygate Trojanscan
http://scan.sygatetech.com/pretrojanscan.html

Windows Security Trojanscan
http://windowsecurity.com/trojanscan
See instructions for it here:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/trojanscan.asp

(Also put these in your "Bookmarks" so you can use them occasionally)

Let us know.
If we can rule malware out there are other things that can be done.

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 March 2006 - 01:32 PM.

#11 luvbug

luvbug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

I have DSL.

I already use AVG, Windows Defender, Spybot S & D, and Spyware Blaster. I run maintance weekly.

Should I download...say...Sygate and disable the Firewall that came with my comp?

I didnt download all the updates....I didnt do the one for Australia changing time and really wasnt sure about the Media Center ones. (not sure what they are).----(I think there are 7 I didnt download)

If I didnt answer all your questions or if you have any more questions, opinions,suggestions etc...please let me know.

Thank you so much.

#12 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:40 PM

You should download Critical Updates - all of them, in fact, you should set your computer to download and install them automatically, and select every other update that applies to the software on your computer.

I agree that it is important to download and install all of the Critical updates that Microsoft supplies, however I have a slightly different take on installing them automatically.

Personally, I don't like the idea of anything getting installed on my computer automatically. I want to know what is being installed, and in the case of Windows Updates I want to be sure they are coming from Microsoft. Therefore, I use (and recommend) "notify me but don't automatically download or install them". With this setting a user will occasionally see a notification in the form of a 'balloon' in the lower right corner of their desktop informing them that an update is available. Then I recommend going to: Start > All Programs > Windows Update (near the top of the list). This link will take you directly to the Microsoft Update site. Then choose 'Express Install' to get your updates.

Telling your computer to go directly to Microsoft's update site is the best way to be SURE that what is being downloaded and installed on your computer is from Microsoft.

How to change your Windows Update settings:

Start > Control Panel > Security Center
Scroll down and click on 'Windows Updates'. Choose 'notify me but don't automatically download or install them'. Apply. OK.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:59 PM

Yes, download Sygate or Zonealarm or any one of the other freeware firewalls that give you both incoming and outgoing protection, set it up and then disable the Windows XP firewall if the new firewall hasn't already done so (ZA does it when it installs).

The update for Australian time change is not a Critical Update.

Microsoft assigns the term "critical update" to security bulletins when it believes an exploit of the vulnerability could be used to create a worm able to spread without any user interaction. - Microsoft Knowledgebase.

Only Critical Updates, Service Pacs (which contain Critical Updates and patches for known exploits) and Security Updates will be downloaded automatically, and unless you are prepared and able to deal with a higher probability of malware infection you should set your updates to automatic - both download and install.

I set mine to automatic, and I can fix what goes wrong, but I would rather not waste time disinfecting my system if I don't have to.

From the Microsoft Security Center:
Using Automatic Updates to help protect your computer for enhanced security, and to ensure that your computer always receives the latest updates in a timely manner, you should set up Automatic Updates so that it automatically downloads and installs critical updates as soon as they are released.

With Automatic Updates, Windows can routinely check for the latest important updates for your computer and install them automatically. These updates, which include critical updates and security updates, should be installed on your computer as soon as they are released, so that they can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats.

Automatic Updates finds all important updates for your computer, including security updates, critical updates, and service packs, and installs them automatically, so that you don't have to search for them or worry that some might be missing.
-MS Security Center

Edited by Enthusiast, 28 March 2006 - 10:04 PM.

#14 luvbug

luvbug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:23 AM

I have it set up to automatically download and install critical updates......I have none of those.

I will do ZoneAlarm today....

I just dont know why I keep getting kicked off Yahoo Messenger or why I keep getting The Page Can Not Be Displayed.....its really irritating.

Thanks for all your help.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:59 AM

OK, lets work on those problems.

Save your "buddy list" or whatever Yahoo messenger calls it, uninstall Yahoo Messenger and any other Yahoo addon you have including the Yahoo Toolbar.

Reboot.

When you get the "page can not be displayed", is it timing out? In other words, is it taking a long time before that screen appears or does it appear quickly?

In any case, open IE, click on "tools", "internet options".

On the "general" tab, in "Temporary Internet Files" click on "delete files", "delete cookies", and then click on "settings".

Make sure that it is set to check for newer versions of stored pages "automatically" is the button that is checked.

Click ok and exit. Close IE and reopen it and see if that clears up the problem.

If it does, reinstall the Yahoo components you like (Messenger, Toolbar or whatever).

If it doesn't fix the problem, we will try other things.

Let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users