Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying New Computer, Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 barns1

barns1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:40 PM

Currently have a old IBM brand, Pentium II. I think it's time for a new one. If I could ask, Where do you suggest buying one and what do I need? I mostly surf the net, want to be able to do things with digital camera photos, and some document work. I would like something I can upgrade later, but want plenty of power now and I also am wanting to learn more about working on computers, the deeper things down the road (I'm a firefighter and 50 years old, need something to do down the road when I can no longer fight fires). Any suggestions on printers and monitors (19") would also be appreciated. A list of what I need would be great, I don't want the Dell type of computer, I would like to order it from a good company. Price up to $1200 or $1300. Again, thanks for all the help so far and keep up the great site.

Edited by barns1, 22 March 2006 - 12:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:33 PM

Could you be alittle more clear about the Dell type computer? Do you mean you want to build your own computer (which is an excellent idea) or do you just not like Dells?

BRFD Engine 6, 26yrs.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:31 PM

If you are thinking about getting a computer shop to build you a computer for 1200 I say you can get a half ass machine with a Pentium 4, 512 mb of ram, integrated graphics, sound card and LAN onboard DVD drive screen, cheap ass speakers, keyboard and mouse and printer.

I know a guy that got that for 1200$CAD.

#4 barns1

barns1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:20 AM

I've heard bad stories about packages from Dell and their support is bad. We have them in our firehouse. Just looking for a reliable company with good support.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:57 AM

We also have Dells in house. I also have severl at my house. Wehave never had any outstanding issues. I am buying four as Christmas presents for Claire and the kids this year.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 vise

vise

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:05 PM

i had system probs with dell - had to pay 60 to fix my partitioning thingies...
They called me from india though ! and im in london uk lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users