Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When things go wrong

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kryptonite

Kryptonite

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:21 AM

Always looking for the appropriate forum to post in before I post. That said, I notice that my posts are from time to time moved.

That tells me that someone with " the powers that be " can move things and I suspect change ( edit ) a word or a phrase or just about anything concerning that entry. In a way I think this can be a great power to have. But here is what I wonder. ( i would like to give a short example that happened yesterday to me and use that example to possibly explorer how we resolve it )

Here's what I hope to be a short version with essential parts to get an accurate idea of what what wrong and what to do to avoid things like this happening again.

Most of my " health care " is provided by the Veterans Administration Medical Centers ( VAMC ) The main center for based on where I live is a 44 mile one way trip. The VA sets up what they call satellite centers. My closest center is 22 miles one way. That facility has lab techs there but the lab that does the testing is in the main facility. Because my tests kept coming up H ( high ) in several area's my doctor ordered the tests to be taken at the main facility. I take the tests and now it appears that they are lost. Their solution is to have them done again. What is bothering me is that they do not want to be questioned about how this could happen and they seem to place zero concern on the fact that it did happen.

Now I am looking for a person to ask about this. Like our forum here there seems to be specific categories and if the problem can not be found in one of the categories that are set up then you look for something like this forum in hopes that someone who might be interested and or concerned reads it and makes a solid "next step" suggestion to resolve the issue.

One interesting problem that arose in-spite of choosing my words clearly, speaking clearly and repeating myself clearly and slowly is the part where the person who is empowered to follow up on this kept hearing or thinking that I said that I dropped off the test at the satellite office. I heard her say to me: " I first need to check with our records to see when the sample was dropped off at the main center. Then I would say: " No. You do not need to check your records, I am telling you that I dropped the sample off myself. But in-spite of the clearness of my words and my attempt to point out what I did she was confused because I called her at the Satellite office. At some point she got what I was saying but needed to ask me why I was calling her and not the main lab. I explained that the powers that be told me that my "provider" was " the captain of my ship " and since they ordered the test I needed to run all inquiries through them. In a way that made sense to me but it did not make enough sense to her that she did not need to in essence "move the question to a different forum"

My point is this: I run into problems like this on a daily basis. Everyone wants to direct me to a different person or department to get the correct answer.

I am so worn out by dealing with this "process" that I have no idea where to go or who to ask about helping myself and others to get to the right place as soon as possible.

Does any of this make sense?

Has anyone else noticed similar dilemma's about resolving problems?

How did things get this way?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

I think it might be due to increasing specialization. It used to be that one person could have a good overview of how an organization or procedure operated, and lateral thinking was easier because the individual's view was not so narrow. Now each person's remit is growing smaller, their field of focus is reduced. It's hard to find anyone who is a "go to" person who can make the connections.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users