Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

still infected with smitfraud-c (i think)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#16 mr.squinter

mr.squinter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

now i got probs with explorer unable to display websites. so i close explorer and on re-opening its better for a while. this happens on many websites, including bleeping computer. then i try again and the site displays ok.

i have a plug in for flash player 10 still installed. do i need this now i have the latest version (11)?
adobe AIR is also instalaled. do i leave it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

OK, let's try to fix things one at a time. You can remove the old version of flash player and it's up to you if you wish to keep adobe air.

now i got probs with explorer unable to display websites

Do you mean Internet Explorer? How about when using a different internet browser?

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

Member of UNITE (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators) 

#18 mr.squinter

mr.squinter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

internet explorer still messing me about as mentioned in my last post. using google is ok, found all websites i searched for.

#19 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

Restore Internet Explorer default settings.
  • Open Internet Explorer
  • Go to Tools > Internet Options
  • Click Advanced Tab
  • Under "Reset Internet Explorer setting", click the Reset Tab.
  • Put a check mark on Delete Personal Settings.
  • Click Apply > OK.
Note: Putting a check mark on Delete Personal Settings will reset your "Home page, Search providers and Accelerators" to default setting.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

#20 mr.squinter

mr.squinter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

ok done that. new window appeared: set up internet explorer 9... use recommended security and compatibility setttings, or don't use. i clicked on 'ask me later'

#21 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

How is it running now?

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#22 mr.squinter

mr.squinter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

pc not so slow now. was i / am i still infected by smitfraud-c? if you think i'm clear, shall i do a spybot scan and watch carefully to see some of the names of things it's scanning, cos before i could see it scanning smitfraud-c, and tons of other things that dont sound nice, ie; sc keylogger, teen xxx, web dialer, spybuddy, actual spy, fake alert.cc, fraud.security tool,etc etc. if these were bad, should these now be gone if spybot scans again, or am i jumping the gun?

#23 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

Are you referring to this indicator of Spybot while scanning?

Posted Image

Edited by sempai, 16 November 2012 - 06:30 PM.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#24 mr.squinter

mr.squinter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

yes! and i was chatting with a friend last night and he said spybot might be displaying a list of all the nasty things its programmed to search for - not what its found. so now i feel stupid cos you're gonna agree with him are n't you? :blush:

#25 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

Yes, that is correct... They are just indicators of what Spybot is currently looking. :)

Please let me know if you still have question or concern so that we can move with the final step which is the housekeeping to properly remove the tools.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#26 mr.squinter

mr.squinter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

thanks, no more questions. i have avast and spybot, along with the security tools that come with internet explorer. do i need anything else installed - for example: anti malware?

#27 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

Hi,

Having an anti virus and firewall is actually enough for me, the rest are all self preference. But having an anti malware program for on demand scan is not a bad idea.

Uninstall:

1. ComboFix

• Click Start > Run > copy-paste the following bolded text into the Run box and click OK:

ComboFix /Uninstall

2. ESET online scanner
  • Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > locate and remove ESET Online Scanner.

Delete:

1. DDS
2. TDSSKiller
3. Gmer
4. Securitycheck

Clean-up with OTL:
  • Run OTL
  • Click on the CleanUp! button.
  • Reboot when ask.

Enable Spybot S&D's "TeaTimer"
Now that we're done with the fix, we should reenable TeaTimer.
  • Open SpyBot Search and Destroy by going to Start -> All Programs -> Spybot Search and Destroy -> Spybot Search and Destroy.
  • If prompted with a legal dialog, accept the warning.
  • Click on Posted Image
  • Click on Posted Image
  • Check this checkbox:
    Posted Image
  • Close/Exit Spybot Search and Destroy

Your log is clean, take the time to read below to secure your machine and take the necessary steps to keep it Clean :)

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

How to increase PC speed

Practice Safe Internet
One of the main reasons people get infected in the first place is that they are not practicing Safe Internet. You practice Safe Internet when you educate yourself on how to properly use the Internet through the use of security tools and good practice. Knowing how you can get infected and what types of files and sites to avoid will be the most crucial step in keeping your computer malware free. The reality is that the majority of people who are infected with malware are ones who click on things they shouldn't be clicking on. Whether these things are files or sites it doesn't really matter. If something is out to get you, and you click on it, it most likely will. Below are a list of simple precautions to take to keep your computer clean and running securely:

• If you receive an attachment from someone you do not know, DO NOT OPEN IT! Simple as that. Opening attachments from people you do not know is a very common method for viruses or worms to infect your computer.
  • If you receive an attachment and it ends with a .exe, .com, .bat, or .pif do not open the attachment unless you know for a fact that it is clean. For the casual computer user, you will almost never receive a valid attachment of this type.
  • If you receive an attachment from someone you know, and it looks suspicious, then it probably is. The email could be from someone you know infected with a malware that is trying to infect everyone in their address book.
  • If you are browsing the Internet and a popup appears saying that you are infected, ignore it!. These are, as far as I am concerned, scams that are being used to scare you into purchasing a piece of software. For an example of these types of popups, or Foistware, you should read this article: Foistware, And how to avoid it.
    There are also programs that disguise themselves as Anti-Spyware or security products but are instead scams. For a list of these types of programs we recommend you visit this link: Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
  • Another tactic to fool you on the web is when a site displays a popup that looks like a normal Windows message or alert. When you click on them, though, they instead bring you to another site that is trying to push a product on you. We suggest that you close these windows by clicking on the X instead of the OK button. Alternatively, you can check to see if it's a real alert by right-clicking on the window. If there is a menu that comes up saying Add to Favorites... you know it's a fake.
  • Do not go to adult sites. I know this may bother some of you, but the fact is that a large amount of malware is pushed through these types of sites. I am not saying all adult sites do this, but a lot do.
  • When using an Instant Messaging program be cautious about clicking on links people send to you. It is not uncommon for infections to send a message to everyone in the infected person's contact list that contains a link to an infection. Instead when you receive a message that contains a link, message back to the person asking if it is legit before you click on it.
  • Stay away from Warez and Crack sites! In addition to the obvious copyright issues, the downloads from these sites are typically overrun with infections.
  • Be careful of what you download off of web sites and Peer-2-Peer networks. Some sites disguise malware as legitimate software to trick you into installing them and Peer-2-Peer networks are crawling with it. If you want to download a piece of software a from a site, and are not sure if they are legitimate, you can use McAfee Siteadvisor to look up info on the site.
  • DO NOT INSTALL any software without first reading the End User License Agreement, otherwise known as the EULA. A tactic that some developers use is to offer their software for free, but have spyware and other programs you do not want bundled with it. This is where they make their money. By reading the agreement there is a good chance you can spot this and not install the software.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#28 mr.squinter

mr.squinter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

thanks once again for giving me yourvaluable time.

#29 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

You're welcome, glad we could help.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#30 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users