Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading from xp to 7 ultimate

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kidpakman

kidpakman

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

I am wanting to upgrade my computer from xp to 7 ultimate. It says to backup all files onto external hard drive but i don't have one. what would be a good program to use for this. after up grade will i be able to put all the files back on the computer without all the xp extras?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

Hello,

They are suggesting you back up all your personal data pictures, music, and documents. Google Drive offers 5gb of storage for free, all you need is a gmail address.
Some people think technology has the answers - Kevin Mitnick

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

The suggestion to backup files is precautionary...we cannot always expect things to go as we anticipate.

What reference are you using for this anticipated upgrade?

You can use a program like Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download - http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
to do the backup.

You need to be aware that your access to files that are backed up...will include everthing...but you will be able to move data files only. None of your programs are moveable, they must be resinstalled...if you are doing a clean install.

What method are you using to do the upgrade?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users