Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading from xp to 7 ultimate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kidpakman

kidpakman

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

I am wanting to upgrade my computer from xp to 7 ultimate. It says to backup all files onto external hard drive but i don't have one. what would be a good program to use for this. after up grade will i be able to put all the files back on the computer without all the xp extras?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dethadder

Dethadder

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

I would recommend that you perchance another hard drive to replace the already existing system rather than write over the top of it for two reasons.

- If itís running XP you probably can use a hardware upgrade as well as an OS upgrade

- You can always go back (Boot off the old drive) and pull any data you missed. No program is full proof at backing up your information because no program can determine what you find to be important.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

There is no direct upgrade path from XP to W7, so you will have to format and start from scratch. Accordingly, you should use whatever method you like to backup all important data. Also, ALL programs will have to be reinstalled.

#4 DaGoogler

DaGoogler

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

have you thought about backing up to the cloud? It might be a little cheaper to get cloud storage than buy a new hard drive. If you are not computer savvy, it might be easier for you too. Just a thought!

#5 DaGoogler

DaGoogler

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

Plus there are instructional videos on Youtube on how to use Microsoft's User State Migration Tool to migrate from XP to Win7. Maybe check those out and see if you want to go that route. There are several ways you can accomplish what you want. You just have to wager cost with level of difficulty.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Hi Kidpakman,

Allan above is right - upgrading from XP to Win 7 does a hard drive format. The update is well worth doing as Win 7 is a better operating system but you do need to back up all your data before you start. The method you use depends on how much data you have on your 'C' drive. But you need to back up all your data :- work files, graphics, photos, music, video, whatever.

Perhaps, as a guide, up to 20 Gb is about 4 DVDs ( approx 4.5 Gb each ). Beyond that, you could try borrowing a USB hard drive off a friend - or even buying one. These are fairly readily available from 250 Gb up to 1 Tb. Just drag and drop the folders you want to backup to the USB drive in Windows Explorer. Using 'The Cloud' is a good idea, but remember you are limited by whatever the upload rate is from your ISP. If you have a considerable amount of data it could take a long time to get it into the cloud !

The quickest way to back up your data is to use a second hard drive, but if you are still running XP you probably only have IDE conectors on your mother board, and IDE hard drives are becoming hard to find. If your mobo has SATA connectors, then you don't have a problem with sourcing a second hard drive.

Backing up your data from time to time is good practice anyway - it cost a friend of mine £ 400 GB to recover her data from a dead hard drive - and that buys an awful lot of back up ! I'd be inclined to go the SSD USB connected route myself.

You will still have to reinstall your applications, drivers etc., but that's the easy bit. If you don't back up your own work somewhere, it will be gone.

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users