Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Won't Recognize Usb Devices

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bluiis1103

bluiis1103

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:17 AM

This could get quite lengthy...but here goes. It all started when I created an account for my son. I set him up as a limited user, and off he went. During the course of his ventures to the unkown, the computer apparantly crashed. He shut it down and got back on just fine. Later that evening, I went to sign on and my account, with administrator rights, could not be accessed. I did not have a password for this account, so I don't know what the reason behind this was. So I tried to access windows through the administrator account, which turned out to be disabled. The only way to at least get on line was through my son's account. However, since it was limited, there was nothing I could do to access any of my files, etc. After reading through countless forums for countless hours, trying everything outside of purchasing a program, I decided to install a new copy of XP to see if I could get to my stuff that way. Well, as they say, hindsight is 20/20, and not having partitioned my hard drive for just this sort of thing, well, I had to install it on the same drive as the old XP (naming it windows2). Everything seems to be running pretty well, so far. I found my files, of course, (whew!) I figured the best thing to do was to copy what I wanted from the old XP, and then reformat the whole thing so I wouldn't have the two OS's fighting eachother, probably causing more headaches then I am prepared to deal with. At first I thought it was just my mouse that was giving me a hard time. (I seem to be able to destroy them in about 6 mos) It is an optical wireless mouse and keyboard setup (Microsoft Photo Explorer, I believe), and so I just plugged around with the keyboard. When I got some things together and put them in files to be copied, but when I tried to copy them to my flash, it wouldn't work either. Needless to say, none of the USB ports are working (I have 8 of 'em). I checked the bios and the bios said I had all 8, and the mouse and one other device (my flash drive) were listed also. Device manager showed yellow ? on "other devices", namely, the 'sm bus controller'. I've tried to reinstall the drivers using the XP cd and the motherboard (Azus) cd, but they didn't work. I have disconnected and reconnected and rebooted and remain confused. Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to what the problem may be? I have spent way too many hours trying to cypher this one out, and am at a loss. This is what I have:
Pentium 4 2.4 Gig
Intel 5.00.1012 chipset
Azus ppym1503 bios
Intel PCI to USB enhanced host controller ICH5
Windows XP Pro

Hope I given enough info and I thank you for your time! Kath.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:12 PM

It sounds like you did a lot of things right. When you say that you tried to update the drivers, did you use XP's device manager or did you actually run the install program from the ASUS disk? (Better to run the installs from the disk)

Also, though the ports configuration is set up correctly for USB, you also have to enable the 2.0 controller and set the legacy USB support to auto and the 2.0 controller to FullSpeed. These setting should have been default, so they're probably right. The chipset driver is probably the most critical thing here.

I'm not sure about your board, but some ASUS boards have an automatic chipset updater that can be installed from the disk. It's in the utilities tab. You need to be connected to the internet for this to work. You can also update the BIOS using this utility. If you still have your motherboard manual, this will be covered.

#3 bluiis1103

bluiis1103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 02:12 AM

Hey Herk... so kind of you to respond so quickly. I do know a little about 'puters, so thanx for the acknowledgement. Yes, I tried to install from the motherboard cd, but it instructed me to get the drivers for USB 2.0 from the XP cd; it didn't work. The one thing I haven't done is to do any updates. I figured since I was going to reformat the hard drive anyways...i just wanted to pull out the files I really needed, copy them to my flash, and start clean. I know 2 OS's on the same drive will only create havoc. However, with no USB ports being recognized, my flash is sorta outa the question. My bios and chipset both need updating, I'm sure, but since I was not having any problems until this, I thought it better not to fix what was not broken. I am a student right now (ha ha, at my age) and I have some stuff I desperatly need to have...like yesterday!
So, Herk...what do you suggest I do at this point? Count my losses and reformat? (UGH!) or is there any hope? ( believe it or not, I am an electrical engineering major).
Oh, yea... I do have the updates for the chipset on a floppy, but have not yet installed them. I figured ( stupid me) that since I included USB 2.0 when I built this thing, and they worked fine, I wouldn't need to update for just a simple file transfer.
thanx! Kath.

Edited by bluiis1103, 23 March 2006 - 02:22 AM.

#4 Bushdoctor

Bushdoctor

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:00 AM

Hi this is Bushdoctor
Have you tried going to the microsoft website and check for the usb drivers? i did have almost the same problem after reinstalling winxp and finaly went to microsoft website and downloaded the usb drivers

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:09 AM

If some of the other ideas in this thread do not work for you, then try this:

Go into the device manager (Start > right click on My Computer > Manage > Device Manager), find the Universal Serial Bus controller (it is usually at the bottom). Expand this item by clicking on the plus sign (+) and then one at a time right click on each USB lisitng you see and choose Uninstall. Reboot the computer, giving it a little extra time, and it should reinstall the USB ports. Perhaps then they will work.

Usually the 2.0 usb driver from the motherboard cd is not needed, as the driver is a part of Windows XP, and should have been installed on your computer when you did the XP installation.

Another thing, and correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like the issue right now is your data. You want to back up your data before reformatting and reinstalling Windows, right? If so, you can always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a slave. Then you can get into the hard drive just fine and copy your data.

Let us know if that is not clear to you.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 23 March 2006 - 08:11 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:52 AM

USB drivers are generic and supported by Microsoft, therefore should exist in XP.

Follow Albert's advice and delete anything with the yellow warning mark, and if you have installed XP correctly it should find and reinstall them.

Two op systems on the same drive are how you do dual boot systems, although with two different versions, i.e., XP and W98 or whatever. Other than having to choose which you want to boot at startup they should have no problem coexisting with each other although that isn't the way I would have approached the issue you described.

There is a built in administrator account in XP which if you haven't set a password for it, you should have been able to access it by just typing "administrator" instead of your user name in the sign-on screen with the password empty.

#7 bluiis1103

bluiis1103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:23 AM

Hey....Thanx for all the advice, guys. I will first try uninstalling all USB devices and then the reboot. If that doesn't work, I will go to Microsoft's update and go that route. I haven't got a whole ton of stuff to copy, but I'm a full time student and keep all my stuff on this machine. I do have backups, however they are not current (stupid me). I will let you know what worked for me...and I really appreciate all of your comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users