Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dueling real-time protections

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hedera

hedera

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

I'd like an opinion if I may. Having carefully studied BleepingComputer's advice on anti-virus and anti-malware tools, I uninstalled Norton Internet Security (yes, using the official tool), and installed instead:

Microsoft Security Essentials
MalwarebytesPro
WinPatrol
Cloudmark DesktopOne for email spam

The only one I paid for was MalwarebytesPro. I initially set up real-time protection on both MSE and Malwarebytes. I had zero problems and once Norton was gone the system came up perceptibly faster. However, recently I reviewed the anti-virus section and found that in one paragraph it says you should only run real-time protection on ONE anti-virus program at a time; and in another place it says that you should always run MalwarebytesPro's real-time protection. Right now MalwarebytesPro is NOT running real-time protection; it is running a scheduled quick scan every day. Should I turn it back on?? I am confused.

I have a desktop and a laptop. The desktop runs Win7 Pro 64-bit, the laptop runs Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. Since I don't do local email on the laptop it doesn't have Cloudmark.

Edited by hedera, 13 November 2012 - 04:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hello keeping it simple MBAM is an AntiMalware not an Antivirus as MSE is. So they can both be active.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

http://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/20818081-does-malwarebytes-anti-malware-replace-antivirus-software

Edited by boopme, 13 November 2012 - 05:06 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Thanks very much, i'll turn it back on!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

You're welcome!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

Now that that is settled, GFI needs to alter their requests that their users do not use realtime protection from Malwarebytes, instead telling them to exclude GFI's folders. I wanted to say that to them on their forums (you can find me periodically there too), but I didn't want to sound condescending or unnecessarily corrective. I don't know everything, and I've already got enough people thinking I know more than I do LOL.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

Don't worry chromebuster, as most times you ask M/soft for MSE help they still say to remove Malwarebytes first !!
I have used both for ages, and there is no conflict between the 2 programs these days.

However there are 1 or 2 remaining Antivirus programs that need exclusions added due to their scanning procedures only.
Most information is made available via the Malwarebytes FAQ section Here - :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users