Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FB! $200 screen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 ken S

ken S

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

I have read thru the two previous posts that relate to this same problem. My XP won't even start in safe mode. After I arrow up to safe mode and hit enter, a string of 'chk' type lines fly by on the screen and it goes to the startup screen for recovery or windows xp. I'm not sure I would be able to do the steps outlined in the other two posts. What do I need to do in this case?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KarstenHansen

KarstenHansen

The Dane

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

Hi ken s :),
I will be handling your log to help you get cleaned up. Please give me some time to look it over and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Edited by KarstenHansen, 14 November 2012 - 01:38 PM.

#3 KarstenHansen

KarstenHansen

The Dane

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hi ken s :),

:welcome: to BleepingComputer. My name is Karsten and I'll help you with the cleanup of malware from your computer.

Please be aware of the following:
  • Refrain from making any changes to your computer including installing/uninstall programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, and running scanners or tools. Doing so could cause changes to the directions I have to give you and prolong the time required. Further more, you should not be taking any advice relating to this computer from any other source throughout the course of this fix.
  • Please complete all steps in the specified order.
  • Even if tools don't find malware, I want you to post the logfiles anyway.
  • Please copy and paste the logfiles directly into your posts. Please do not attach them unless you are instructed to do so.
  • Read the instructions carefully. If you have problems, stop what you were doing and describe the problems you encountered as precisely as you can.
  • If you can't answer for the next few days, please let me know. If you haven't answered within 5 days, I am assuming that you don't need help anymore and your topic will be closed.
  • If you decide to clean your PC, work with us until a team member tells you that you are clean.
  • As my first language is not English, please do not use slang or idioms. It could be hard for me to understand.
Do you have the possibility to burn a CD and an USB drive we can use to transfer some files?

#4 ken S

ken S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

Right or wrong, I decided to go the 'recovery' route and am now rebuilding my Windows XP. It is a lot of work but the removal of FBI looked like a lot of work after reading several other recent posts from people that got this virus. McAfee told me that recovery does not necessarily remove the virus(s). I have Mcafee total protection software and it says I'm good. Is there any other test that you would like for me to do?? Thanks, Ken

#5 KarstenHansen

KarstenHansen

The Dane

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

Did you reformat and reinstall your windows? In that case you should be fine, please let me know if you have any additional questions?

#6 ken S

ken S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

Yes, I started 'Recovery' with the original XP software sent from Gateway. It made a backup folder for files, I had to download & install XP service pack 3 and also get the McAfee software updated to current versions, start a new Microsoft Outlook email set-up. I guess I can drag things from the back-up folder to where they used to be, and I'm not sure yet how many program files like Turbo Tax etc have to be redone. The folders are in the back-up folder, but I'm not sure yet if they will work or if I have to go thru setup.exe on them all over again. Thanks for your help. At least the computer is working, just a lot of re-organizing of files to do for now.

#7 KarstenHansen

KarstenHansen

The Dane

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

Hi ken s :)
Okay, thanks for telling me. Nice to hear things went well.

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users